GreaseSpot Cafe

is this too controversial?

motherof2

Hi motherof2. My wife and I are the fatherandmotherof2, too. If those are two children, we may be on the same page. An equal ratio of adult-to-child always seemed to make sense to us. :)

I don't believe the statement "Jesus is God" is true as a simple statement of fact. I do believe Jesus is of God, and from God and a part of God. The son of God, and that He is the way that I can as a human understand and come to a knowledge of God that's meaningful. If God is everything He seems to be He is difficult if not impossible to completely understand or articulate from this perspective I had.

Jesus Christ appears to be presented in the gospels as the person who literally brought God "to earth" as His son and allows me to see God, in His life, as the son of God. That is a really incredible thing. I know that God forgives and something of how He forgives because I can see that forgiveness personnifed in Jesus. I know He loves and I can understand what that love is like because I can see that love expressed and lived in the life of Jesus. As the son of God I can make him "lord" and have God's will be the dominant force in our relationship, which includes Jesus Christ, right now in current experience.

Belief and faith are to me, two different things. There are things I "believe", some I'm sure of, others not so sure of but I would claim to believe them and act accordingly.

The basic core of my "Christian faith" is based on what amounts to the relationship I have with both God and Jesus Christ and their relationship with me. To me, there's no question about what's real in that and I place my faith - my actions today and hopes for the future - on that. Both belief and faith are always growing and changing as I grow and change.

Many things I thought I understood 30 years ago have changed, and I'm sure will continue to change. I don't have a problem with that because I know I don't have it all figured out and may never. I don't - believe - others do either and so I don't hold anyone responsible to know all-see all and have all the answers for me or anyone.

The New Testament in the bible frequently mentions grace and mercy, for good reason. The average person isn't all that bad, given a fair shake, but if life had it's way so many of us would end up taking long walks off short piers. We need a break if we're going to make anything of this life and I believe and have faith that God has done exactly that through His son Jesus Christ. :)

Hi motherof2. My wife and I are the fatherandmotherof2, too. If those are two children, we may be on the same page. An equal ratio of adult-to-child always seemed to make sense to us. :)

I don't believe the statement "Jesus is God" is true as a simple statement of fact. I do believe Jesus is of God, and from God and a part of God. The son of God, and that He is the way that I can as a human understand and come to a knowledge of God that's meaningful. If God is everything He seems to be He is difficult if not impossible to completely understand or articulate from this perspective I had.

Jesus Christ appears to be presented in the gospels as the person who literally brought God "to earth" as His son and allows me to see God, in His life, as the son of God. That is a really incredible thing. I know that God forgives and something of how He forgives because I can see that forgiveness personnifed in Jesus. I know He loves and I can understand what that love is like because I can see that love expressed and lived in the life of Jesus. As the son of God I can make him "lord" and have God's will be the dominant force in our relationship, which includes Jesus Christ, right now in current experience.

Belief and faith are to me, two different things. There are things I "believe", some I'm sure of, others not so sure of but I would claim to believe them and act accordingly.

The basic core of my "Christian faith" is based on what amounts to the relationship I have with both God and Jesus Christ and their relationship with me. To me, there's no question about what's real in that and I place my faith - my actions today and hopes for the future - on that. Both belief and faith are always growing and changing as I grow and change.

Many things I thought I understood 30 years ago have changed, and I'm sure will continue to change. I don't have a problem with that because I know I don't have it all figured out and may never. I don't - believe - others do either and so I don't hold anyone responsible to know all-see all and have all the answers for me or anyone.

The New Testament in the bible frequently mentions grace and mercy, for good reason. The average person isn't all that bad, given a fair shake, but if life had it's way so many of us would end up taking long walks off short piers. We need a break if we're going to make anything of this life and I believe and have faith that God has done exactly that through His son Jesus Christ. :)

WOW Socks....that's beautiful. Thank you very much; I needed that. :)

• 4 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I think the debate on this doctrinal issue is as devoid of merit as the debate over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. There are wonderfully spiritual people on both sides of the unitarian/trinitarian divide, and it makes no sense to let such petty differences get your dander up. As a historical footnote many of the founding fathers of the US, including Jefferson and Paine, did not believe in the divinity of Jesus yet they respected and followed his teachings.