GreaseSpot Cafe

suckling pig

coolchef

i hvae never don't it as most of the recipes i have look to labor intense but as i have an 18# one in the freezer i gotta do it any ideas?

Hey there Chef. Here's one way I found (google).

Meebe it is too labor intesive too, but here it is.

Chilean Suckling Pig BBQ

Recipe courtesy Chef Richard Visconte

See this recipe on air Friday Dec. 15 at 11:00 AM ET/PT.

Show: BBQ with Bobby Flay

Episode: BBQ Holiday

1 (15 to 20 pound suckling pig

8 cups Marinade, recipe follows

Break the spine of the pig with a cleaver from head to tail to allow the animal to lie flat on the grill. Marinate the pig for 2 hours before placing it over the coals.

Prepare the barbeque pit with coals. The coals are ready when they glow and are covered with a white ash. Have extra coals and oak wood on the side to add to the fire when needed, enough to keep the fire burning for 3 hours.

To gauge the temperature of the fire pit, hold your hand 18 inches away from the coals. You should be able to hold your hand over the fire for 4 to 5 seconds before pulling it away. If you can hold your hand longer over the fire it means there is not enough heat, if less the coals are too hot.

Remove the pig from the marinade. Place the pig rib cage facing down towards the coals and cook for about 2 1/2 hours. Do not leave the fire unattended. Turn the pig on to its back and cook for another 1/2 to 1 hour, or until the pigs skin is crisp and the internal temperature reaches a minimum of 160 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer. Throughout the cooking time, check the fire temperature constantly and move the coals around to create a uniform temperature to prevent burning the pig.

Once the pig is done cooking, serve with fresh salads, chimichurri, and plenty of Chilean wine.

Marinade:

3 cups vegetable oil

4 1/2 cups dry white wine (recommended: Chilean Sauvignon Blanc)

1 1/2 cups chopped onions or scallions

3/4 cup minced fresh Italian parsley leaves

3 teaspoons chopped garlic

6 teaspoons dried thyme

6 teaspoons dried oregano

3 teaspoons black pepper

3 teaspoons ground cumin

6 teaspoons salt

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. This marinade can be prepared a day in advance.

This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.

Edited by dmiller

I've been to a few BBQs where this was a featured entree and I'll be totally honest...

...I'm not a vegetarian or anything of the like - I like meat ....

But...

Many guests, especially the women, were really turned off to this - but they'd never say it outloud. Several sorta whispered it - politely - but didn't really want to eat it (or see it) because it was a baby something... I feel the same way - it just put me off a bit.

That and... I remember dissecting a fetal pig in Anatomy - totally grossed me out. I don't think I touched pork for a year after that. The sucking pig looks the same, just bigger.

(I hope you don't think I'm rude - I don't mean this that way at all...)

• 4 weeks later...
i hvae never don't it as most of the recipes i have look to labor intense but as i have an 18# one in the freezer i gotta do it any ideas?

Look up "Cajun Microwave" Much easier to use and more even cooking than in a pit. It's actuslly a pretty ingenious idea. I've used on a lot over the years.