GreaseSpot Cafe

Decorating Christmas Cookies

ChasUFarley

I need a 10 step program for this...

Hi. My name is Krista. I'm 36 years old and I don't know how to decorate Christmas cookies for the life of me.

I have two young kids who would love to make and decorate cookies but the best I can do is bring home the pre-packaged sugar cookies that are decorated with the colored dough, that you just bake and eat. I have tried to paint the cookies and think I still have stains on my dark green counter tops from the miserable effort. I have used sparkling sugar but it just fell off.

I need an intervention....

Hi - My name is Donna, I'm 47, and I confess to buying premixed sugar cookie dough and those little tubes of colored icing and sprinkles and little balls and other decorative frivolity and letting the kids roll out the dough and cut the cookies out with cookie cutters and waste huge amounts of money on the colored frosting in those little tubes. They fit so well in kids' hands and the cookies are all masterpieces cause the kids do it.

Now to get real fancy, buy a can of white or whatever color frosting you want (don't bother mixing food coloring to change colors, buy the frosting the color you want it) and spread the frosting on cooled cookies. Then let the kids decorate them on top of the frosting for a change of pace.

No shame in that. The kids see the cookies go in and come out of the oven. THAT, my friend is what's known as baking. :dance:

Chas, if you want the sparkly sugar to stay on, just beat an egg white a bit, brush a little on each cookie (you can use a pastry brush or even a paper towel for this), then sprinkle away. Voila, the sugar stays put!

Bow's method works well, too. :) I like to use the canned (white) cream cheese frosting and sprinkle it with the colored sugars and little silver balls and cinnamon drops, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Chas, we sometimes decorated the cookies before they were cooked--that way we could press the decorations into the dough-- the sugar stays on, too. But I also agree with Linda, that Bow's method works well, too. My boys seemed to like those better anyway--icing the cookies first with white icing and then decorating the icing. They didn't look too pretty when two little boys were done!! LOL!!!! But the pictures are priceless!

THese are sweet times, Chas, and they go by so fast!! I really enjoy my boys at the ages of 13 and 9, (I've pretty much enjoyed all the various ages they go through) but I miss the age yours are now. (siiiiiiggghhhh) I have very sweet memories of those times.

• 2 weeks later...

We had the cake decorating kit that was nice to experiment with.

I just saw a "helpful hint" on the cooking channel using a plastic baggie to squeeze the frosting onto cupcakes (would work for Christmas cookies).

Put the frosting into the baggie and give the corner a small snip to make a small shaped outlet for the frosting and squeeze the frosting onto the cookie (or cupcake).

The cloth frosting tube we used to have got really sticky and gooey. The plastic baggie idea sounds nice to me.

Most of all, as others have noted, enjoy these kids, they are too soon grown up and gone.