GreaseSpot Cafe

Telling children the truth...

SafariVista

Well, I must admit, reading through here was disturbing to some degree, yet some fun ideas. Thanks for sharing :)

I feel bad that my young son (youngest of four... others being 13, 15 & 18) is out there ruining the 'magic' for others, or making other parents protect their traditions on an unsuspecting afternoon. He knows it's a fun story, yet eager to share his knowledge... hopefully he'll stick to spouting off all the addition facts he thinks he knows :biglaugh:

And I agree, it depends on the child; 'this one' demands facts.

We do celebrate Christmas with traditions. We decorate a tree, put lights outside and mistletoe & varied decorations throughout the house... we exchange gifts... and always make sure to include neighbors, the mail lady, newspaper boy, teachers & sometimes the school's secretary, if we've gotten to know her well. And most of these gifts are handmade, the children participating, which makes it even more fun for them to give.

And yes, we have plenty of pictures w/ Santa... some from the early years have tears included~

Belle, I think it's another one of those when-you-were-in thingies. If I'd been in when you were, I'd probably feel as you do.

I was never discouraged by anyone in twi from the Santa thing. In fact, when I was on staff, Santa came and brought gifts for the kiddos; ditto when we were in residence at Rome City. That's why this isn't (for me...I understand why it is for you) a twi-related issue.

I like the whole "spirit of giving" sort of explanation...in that sense, Santa is real enough for me.

On a related note, I still chuckle when I think of Dorothy Owens whispering the forbidden "Merry Christmas" when we went through the greeting line before our big staff holiday dinner. In the words of Flavor Flav (who ever thought I'd quote him and Dororthy Owens in the same paragraph??), she "knew what time it was."

LOLOLOL...this is too funny. i too have been questioning this topic the last few weeks when one of my son's friends let the cat out of the bag!! and what did i do? i lied. and now i feel guilty :redface: i just wqanted him to believe one more year..i love the tradition and magic..making cookies...and showing him in the morning how santa ate them. i believed when i was a kid and dont regret it, but i should have told him the truth..mzybe i should still..ok, after christmas. btw, i do make sure to tell him we celebrate christmas because it is Jesus's b-day and it is about Him. oh who knows..its so individual! but LOL at the thought of K telling the other kids!

My oldest, raised in TWI lived with a wierd mix of 'yes Samantha there is a Santa' to 'no Samantha there is no Santa but it's fun to play the game huh'?

She got gifts from Santa from her maternal grandmother. And the tooth fairy always showed up on time, but she knew by about age 7 that I was the lady that collected her teeth and traded them for coin.

We never really told her any truth and don't recall a time when she realized were were fulla it.

My youngest said she busted Santa at about age 9 when she saw me putting gifts out and those same gifts were from the jolly man the next morning. We still play the game and with all the great things we see happen this time of year, we choose to believe there is a "something". Call it Santa, call it people being good to each other for a change....

And this year she's 11 and I told her I killed Santa by telling him I was a good girl and he died laughing. That was not well received at all. There is a time and place for mom humor. Or a mom who just thinks she's funny. :rolleyes:

This during the time she's losing tooth after tooth and the tooth fairy has been up to three days late showing up twice. But then again the guilt money has been appreciated. She found all her baby teeth in my jewelry box about a year ago in a little envelope marked "Kelly's teeth". <_<

She knows, we play the game and it's fun for now. And we help out a family that needs help, every year a differant family, signing our givings from the jolly guy.