GreaseSpot Cafe

Way Kids

FreeAtLast

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stick Fellowships noooo disrespect to the post wording but I have a tremendous disdain and contempt for that term (stick fellowship) You are still God's kids and the Apple of his eye Nobody has an edge or major section or cornerstone on truth. It took me Billions of Light years to figure that one out .... ok ok ok maybe 8 years :)

I am Captain S

Edited by Captain Spiritural

Captain S

It took me a while to come to that conlusion. About 2 years but I had a counselor to help me along the path. He helped me get through my leaving the Way, my divorce, facing possible death because of a tumor in my heart, and the surgery that followed. He was a truly awesome man and helped me to quckly rethink my beliefs. I didn't abandon all and as a matter of fact held to many of the tenets that have shaped my life, but one of the beliefs I let go of was that I had the all truth because of what I learned in the Way. I had to come to the realization that maybe even my belief in God as I know him from the presentation of who he is in the bible may not be the real God.

But being raised in christianity all my life that is what I have chosen to believe. However, I no longer try to change other people's opinions to match mine and I have learned to listen to other points of view. I don't have to believe what they believe, but I do have to respect what they believe. Someday I may find their beliefs to be true. I guess the in twi we learned intolerance.

Wow, so much to think about here... so many valid points brought up.

1) Train up a child in the way they should go...

-- this doesn't require a religious group, this requires good sound parenting, which I know you provide

2) I want my kids to have a hunger for God's Word like I did...

-- it sounds like she does already. Maybe not a hunger for a church setting, but certainly a sense of doing the right thing and of knowing there is a god out there and a part of her life.

3) The teenage years are hard and being in twi helped me stay on the right path

-- maybe, but I can't help wonder if it really wasn't your own moral compass, hidden underneath the way's teachings, that really kept you on the right track ... after all, YOU were the one who chose to listen and believe and make your choices ... a lot of kids in twi in their teen years didn't

3) Once you see the fault in the logic of TWI, you see the fault in the logic of any organized religion

-- Absolutely!!!! I have no problem attending the occassional church service with a friend but I can't even consider joining one. And it isn't that I can't commit to anything. I've taken on many additional responsibilities and commitments at work and in the community in my post-twi years. I just can't do the church thing.

4) Being in the Way has hardened her heart to the teaching of the Word by any organization

-- Maybe she can't tolerate the organization but I don't know how you can say she has hardened her heart to the Word... didn't Jesus spend most of his ministry trying to teach people that it isn't the washing of pots and the outward showing of religious service that was important, but the inward understanding of the meaning and purpose of religion. In other words, if she is a kind, thoughtful, patient, generous, helpful, and industrious person, and she knows that there is some higher power out there, and she knows that she can trust her mom to be there for her when she needs her... shoot, I think you've got the whole world on a silver platter right there.

Edited by TheHighWay

Captain S

It took me a while to come to that conlusion. About 2 years but I had a counselor to help me along the path. He helped me get through my leaving the Way, my divorce, facing possible death because of a tumor in my heart, and the surgery that followed. He was a truly awesome man and helped me to quckly rethink my beliefs. I didn't abandon all and as a matter of fact held to many of the tenets that have shaped my life, but one of the beliefs I let go of was that I had the all truth because of what I learned in the Way. I had to come to the realization that maybe even my belief in God as I know him from the presentation of who he is in the bible may not be the real God.

But being raised in christianity all my life that is what I have chosen to believe. However, I no longer try to change other people's opinions to match mine and I have learned to listen to other points of view. I don't have to believe what they believe, but I do have to respect what they believe. Someday I may find their beliefs to be true. I guess the in twi we learned intolerance.

Skillful and wonderfully stated: Remember the WAY big short fall was and still is ... Knowlege is but folly unless it is guided by Grace, Mercy, Peace and LOVE for God -Humans and common core aquiring of Spiritural Knowledge of God; soo much hate and jealousity in the Church Age today its sad truely truely sad

I am Captain .S :)

Skillful and wonderfully stated: Remember the WAY big short fall was and still is ... Knowlege is but folly unless it is guided by Grace, Mercy, Peace and LOVE for God -Humans and common core aquiring of Spiritural Knowledge of God; soo much hate and jealousity in the Church Age today its sad truely truely sad

I am Captain .S :)

Thanks Captain S.

It's just not worth it to go through hell to get all prettied up to go to a church that teaches against our beliefs. However, I do want my kids to have a hunger to know God like I did at her age.

Just found this thread tonite. Skipped over a lot of stuff, so forgive me if I'm redundant.

I think the above quote is perhaps the biggest part of the problem. Briefly put I'm thinking the one who doesn't want to go is smart enough to see "what was wrong" w/TWI and see's the "getting all prettied up" as the same category of "what's wrong" w/ church.

A more progressive church that doesn't teach against... what you believe might be more accceptable to the one that doesn't want to go.

Just found this thread tonite. Skipped over a lot of stuff, so forgive me if I'm redundant.

I think the above quote is perhaps the biggest part of the problem. Briefly put I'm thinking the one who doesn't want to go is smart enough to see "what was wrong" w/TWI and see's the "getting all prettied up" as the same category of "what's wrong" w/ church.

A more progressive church that doesn't teach against... what you believe might be more accceptable to the one that doesn't want to go.

Absolutely, Now the problem is where to find that church.

• 2 weeks later...
MPM how exiciting. Best to you and the misses as you have your new baby. When is the new arrival due.

Thanks FreeAtLast and lindyhopper...the due date is early June.

This is good because about a year ago, my wife was pregnant and then had a miscarriage after about 8 - 10 weeks. She took it really hard, I took is hard, but not as much as she did. We weren't trying again, but it just happened and now we've made it past the 7 month mark. Just a little while longer to go.