GreaseSpot Cafe

British English for Americans

bowtwi

Great fun was had in rez when some Brits taught some interesting expressions to the US in rez. One of the US in rez came to me after some time and told me that they had been told that ... meant ... (I can't remember the expression used, but I think it was something like "wank".) One look at my shocked expression told the enquirer that it wasn't quite the "harmless" word that the Brits had said. :wacko: Those Brits had a good laugh out of it though.

(For the unitiated, US folk "wank" with a spanner (wrench) to tighten nuts and bolts. Brit males might engage in an activity of the same name (verb or noun) on their own anatomy and it has nothing to do with spanners though some might say it has to do with wrenches...)

The first few months in rez were occasionally a bit eye-boggling as expressions with "rude" (Brit)connotations were used with no such connotation and completely unrelated meanings in US-speak.

(For the unitiated, US folk "wank" with a spanner (wrench) to tighten nuts and bolts. Brit males might engage in an activity of the same name (verb or noun) on their own anatomy and it has nothing to do with spanners though some might say it has to do with wrenches...)

Ahhhhh but could it involve Wenches???