GreaseSpot Cafe

Levels of Faith...

Hello out there in the doctrinal spaces...

I tend to stay out of here, but I read something on another thread that reminded me of a question I've wanted to ask, and have forgotten until now.

Over on the CES and Momentus thread, Undone as part of his post referred to a recent experience like this:

"In both Discovery and Breakthrough there were people from all walks of life and all levels of faith"

The bold and italics are mine. What does that mean, "all levels of faith?" and does it apply across the spectrum of many faiths, or does it mean to include those new to one particular faith all the way through those whom have been around a long, long time?

Does it mean people that believe a little, and others that believe a lot?

I've worded this really poorly. My apologies. But, I really am curious, and have not found (not meaning it hasn't been written) answers that have helped me understand.

Thanks in advance,

~QT

QT,

Re:"Does it mean people that believe a little, and others that believe a lot?"

It sure seems that way to me. It doesn't take much for some folks to believe but it takes quite a lot for others. Some won't believe at all unless there is solid proof. Believing with very little evidence (great faith) is very valued in the Judeo-Christian-Muslim faiths.

sudo

QT

Apparently you have asked a question that is causing some thought but has not garnered much response as yet...

I have always considered a person to be of strong faith when their faith or belief in their God overshadows or influences their every decision and action. I do not distinguish between religions with my definition. So a Muslim fighting a holy war could be strong in faith just as a Catholic Nun ministering to Aids victims in Africa could be strong in faith. In my book it is a matter of trust...how much does a particular person at any given time trust in their God? This determines their level of faith.

Just my opinion and my definition.

Edited for spelling....ooops! :redface2:

Edited by Eyesopen

God first

Beloved QuietThinker

God loves you my dear friend

I been thinking about "Levels of Faith" for a few days

the way I see it faith is all the same - one wither has it or does not have it

but there are levels of growth in a person walk as he or she learns how to walk more perfectly

but faith is all the same to me but this is just me

thank you

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond, I really do appreciate it!

I think Roy pinpointing what my problem with the phrase has been. It seems a fine but important distinction to make in terms of faith and growth. So, thank you, Roy!

And, Sudo, CMAN and EyesOpen...fanks for responding. It will help me read a bit better in other threads, I think.

It *is* nice to visit you folks in the basement every once in a while....no matter what they might say upstairs! *teasing wink*

Seriously though, thanks for your input.

Respectfully,

~QT

Honestly QT, I'm not so sure that the original author in your first post meant to be so noble when he/she referred to "levels of faith."

I fear that this is a subtle slam to distinguish beliefs that get away from the Judeo-Christian paradigm. The further away the "lower the level of faith."

That said, I too believe that the issue of faith lies in "have or have not," rather than "how much." That was the whole point of the mustard seed analogy in the Gospel. So I agree that there are levels of growth. Then I say we have moments of faith. Perhaps the trick is to get those moments closer and closer together.

Oh No! How did I get back here in the dungeon!

Edited by doojable

God first

Beloved QuietThinker

God loves you my dear friend

your welcome

nice to have you here in the basement

its said this summer we might get a swining pool put in here in the basement or that what I wanted to hear

thank you

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

Honestly QT, I'm not so sure that the original author in your first post meant to be so noble when he/she referred to "levels of faith."

I fear that this is a subtle slam to distinguish beliefs that get away from the Judeo-Christian paradigm. The further away the "lower the level of faith."

That said, I too believe that the issue of faith lies in "have or have not," rather than "how much." That was the whole point of the mustard seed analogy in the Gospel. So I agree that there are levels of growth. Then I say we have moments of faith. Perhaps the trick is to get those moments closer and closer together.

Oh No! How did I get back here in the dungeon!

Aye, Dooj, I thought the intention of the original author of the other post might have been something else entirely--so I brought my little question down here to the basement, figuring you all would take my question about the phrase itself seriously...

which you all did, and for which I give my thanks.

(and thanks Roy, I've been away from the boards for a while, but always feel better when a little of your kindness blows my way).

and now........more studying for me, for school...much less fun!

Regards,

~QT