GreaseSpot Cafe

Lost my Outlook data

oenophile

When opening Outlook the other day, I must have inadvertently selected Outlook for my email default. When I went in and changed it back to Earthlink Total Access, I was presented with the option of selecting an Outlook profile-which I did. The next time I opened Outlook, I was presented with a set up wizard. After I clicked through everything and got into Outlook, I found that all my data had disappeared. My contacts information is the most important information that I lost.

Is there a way for me to retrieve this data?

Yes, it is still there. You just have to find it. Don't worry. First are you taking about Outlook or Outlook Express? Which were you using that has your addresses.

Mine are located here:

C:Documents and SettingsJohn RichesonApplication DataMicrosoftAddress Book

In a file called johnricheson.wab

Now who in the Helx would know to look there!!!

Look for a similar path on your computer.

You can import those addresses into your current "Outlook" setup.

If you want to just avoid email clients and email set up all together you can just use online email. THis may be especially attractive to you if you have broadband (high speed).

I almost feel like swithching myself to some type of online service such as Yahoo, Hotmail or others. They do a great job of filtering Spam and Viruses.

No more setup, no more Outlook quirks, no more failures in downloading or sending. Just think!

I recently read of a computer expert who ditched Outlook in favor of an online service. Guess he didn't want the headaches like what you are going through right now.

So many choices of email, so little time. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I'll probably get Gmail soon for my 4th!!! email account. Nice to know it can be a pop3 set up.

I gotta say I like Outlook 2003. They finally seem to be getting some things right. So that is what I use now along with a free little Outlook plug in that someone told me about... maybe Zixar.... (where is he these days) called Spam Bayes. Just do a Google search for it.

It is awesome in filtering Spam.

Oenophile... did you find and recover your data?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...