GreaseSpot Cafe

So ..how was it growing up with this stuff?

doojable

New here.. Hi to all! Been lurking in the back booth checking ya'all out for a while, and I like the atmosphere of "say what you think" that permeates this joint - it's refreshing!

I was raised in "the Word" starting in my early teens. I can honestly say that I am thankful for most of it, and believe that I had a good childhood. I never got in much trouble... But I think this also had a lot to do with my parents, moreso than the ministry.

I never knew about the sexual crap that went on until much later... when I was an adult.

I definately had it a lot better than my other siblings... I was older, out of the house by the time things got real religious. I'm glad. They had to endure the FC after being yanked from highschool. The stories they relate are theirs to tell if they ever want to. It was not a healthy environment for them at all.

I do remember being very upset at one point in my late teens because my parents had decided to go into the WC with my sibs, but couldn't take me because I was too old to go with them. I hadn't even had a place on my own yet! I got very mad at God then because I felt He was taking my family from me.

I got over it, though, [yeah, right] and followed my parent's example by increasing my commitment to THE WORD and going out on an outreach quest. A good time. I learned a lot, met good people, and was forced to grow up, buck up, and LIVE THE STANDARD!!

I lived the standard so much that when my parents were made MA, I MAed them too, thinking I was doing God a great service. Boy, was I wrong! Thank God I know now. He didn't want me separated from my family. He never took them away from me, I took myself away (with a healthy dose of encouragement - not strictly stated by leadership, mind you.)

Now I know better. Not so niave. In a way, it's nice to know, but in another way, it was nice to be ignorant.

Ignorance is bliss, but when you do get that steaming hot cup of reality poured right in your lap, it hurts like hell.

Things are better. My family is together, I am thankful for their forgiveness.

WELCOME!!! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Yet one more example of how each person's experience could be so different and how slowly they turn up the pressure and warp our thinking. I'm glad that you and your family are back together. You're right, that's exactly what God would want. I can't imagine a loving God would want us to turn our back on our family.

May I buy you your first cuppa java here?

gallery_452_63_5331.jpg

May I buy you your first cuppa java here?

Thanks! MMMMMmmmmMMMMMmmmm, Pastry, too!! :jump:

I thought of something else after I posted the last message on this forum... I do remember being taken aside with another young lady from our branch and confronted about the teen orgies that were happening at the ROA and asked why we hadn't said anything! We hadn't said anything because we were never knew anything was happening - we were at the teachings...

Afterwards, I wasn't sure if I should be offended that someone thought I was involved, or offended because no one asked me to take part? :redface2:

A few years later I ran into one of the guys who was involved in all of that at the ROA... It was a little strange the difference in attitude regarding things... I was so concerned about not being at every meeting and trying to do my best, and he just kept talking about how he couldn't wait for his parents to go to the teachings so he could go party with the other kids.

My parents, in the meantime, had me right at their sides, and I am glad for that.