GreaseSpot Cafe

Food in Genesis

Genesis One

29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

Genesis Two

16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:

17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Genesis Three

18 thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee;

and thou shalt eat the herb of the field:

19 in the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken:

for dust thou art,and unto dust shalt thou return.

Genesis Six

(Gathering for the Ark)

21 And take thou unto thee of all food that is eaten, and thou shalt gather it to thee; and it shall be for food for thee, and for them.

Genesis Nine

2 And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered.

3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

4 But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.

It appears that the creationists believe nothing ate animal flesh when its kind was first made. Prior to Genesis 9, man killed animals in an offering to God for the covering of sin, but not for food. So they say, originally cats ate vegies, but genetically degenerated into meat-eaters.

I could easily see this with omnivores like bears, which eat whatever they want. A crocodile I'm not aware eats any vegies. But perhaps before the fall the plant life was more favorably diverse and nutricious. I've heard of meat-eating kangaroos, which are now extinct. Don't know that kangaroos nowadays eat meat.

Would God have originally created animals to eat each other? Or, is a world with this type of peace, where lions eat plants, just a conjured fantasy?

God first

Beloved Bolshevik

God loves you my dear friend

before the fall Adam and Eve feed all the animals from the garden from what I read about prefall in other books not in the bible

but the animals were cast out of the garden too

I sure from the shortest of food animals begin eating one another

but I do not know again 100 per cent

thank you

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

As the above quotes from Genesis show, man was given plants to eat at first, and only after the flood was he given meat. The prophet Isaiah foretells that when the earth is restored to its original state, animals will once again live in peace and not eat each other.

Isa 11:

6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.

7 And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.

8 And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice’ den.

9 They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.

Isa 65:25 The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the serpent’s meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the LORD.

http://www.dispatch.co.za/2000/07/21/features/FARM4.HTM

CALCUTTA, India (AP) -- When his chickens started

disappearing a few weeks ago, a farmer in eastern India

figured dogs or jackals were to blame -- until he

discovered his calf making a meal of his poultry.

i don't really find the idea that unusual. we know that deer

will happily seek out & eat ground nesting birds, so why

wouldn't cattle do the same?

http://groups.google.gg/group/misc.rural/b...d23a6c?lnk=raot

Even cows and deer will eat meat.

Edited by Bolshevik

There is one species of carnivorous duck in the Falkland islands. There are also instences where Canadian Geese will eat bugs.

http://www.birdholidays.co.uk/antarctica%202008.htm

A giant carnivorous duck lived once in Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullockornis

God first

Beloved All

God loves you my dear friend

by living on a farm like home I got to see our grass grows faster and better when cows eat off its top

and how some plants seeds are planted by their fruit being ate by animals that let the seeds fall to the dirt

we eat air so a new kind of air can be made

so yes in the garden I believe animals only ate fruit of the trees and plants without killing the plants and trees

but if the first wild pig or any animal saw Eve and said "O what a meal she is" and then the pig ate Eve which pigs can do

Where would we be if the first pig that can get meat ate Eve before she had a child

there had to be time for each kind to have little ones

thank you

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

herbivores with a few exceptions as noted will not resort to a carnivorous diet. No grass on the savannas means dead antelope. Carnivores however all eat grass and herbs with their diets. Cats and dogs are often found munching on grass or plants.

The whole issue of meat in the diet could only come about after death came into the world. And that was the wages of sin.

When you get right down to the essentials --all of life survives on plant life, whether by direct ingestion or by ingestion of animals who are herbeviores.

I think its interesting how before the fall, man and critters ate fruit and veggies - were not meat eaters.

After the fall man is told by the sweat of his brow shall he toil. I think something happened and the superabundance of the earth was no more. Now he had to sweat and toil to make the "cursed" ground produce.

After the flood, it seems the ground was not as cursed and it became a little easier to get it to produce, and for some reason, that is when the meat eating became the norm.

Then, in Rev., during the millenium, we see the earth producing much more abundantly than it does today.

I think, if God in his foreknowledge knew man would fall he gave the carnivores the teeth they would need to live in a fallen world.

Or, could it possibly be that if the ground was cursed veggies and seed and fruit alone would not now produce the protein needed, as they once did, thus the new need for meat to supplement the diet?

If the earth again superabounds in the future after the judgment and the curse is lifted in Rev., then meat would not be needed anymore and all would get everything they need from a vegetarian diet, including the animals.

Just a thought.

My speculation, who really knows? But its interesting.

If the earth again superabounds in the future after the judgment and the curse is lifted in Rev., then meat would not be needed anymore and all would get everything they need from a vegetarian diet, including the animals.

I think that your speculation is right on target.

Earth after it has recieved its paradisical glory-- will have in residence all people who have ever lived who have been accepted into paradise along with all animals that have ever lived. There again will be no death, hence no meat eaters.

I believers the IDers propose that God put the ability to grow sharp teeth and stuff in the genetic code, and after the Fall, these traits revealed themselves. Its just an idea right now I think.

Genetic degeneration is probably the biggest source for disease. (aside from sitting on the couch and eating cheesy poofs :) ) I wonder if Adam and Eve needed to take in as much protein as we need to, since perhaps they simply didn't break down as easy?

Although after the flood we see a rapid decrease in life expectancy of people, something was lost in the Flood.

Edited by Bolshevik