GreaseSpot Cafe

podcasts, videos, and other broadcasts.

templelady

I want to point out to the many posters at GSC that not all of us have high speed internet, not all of us have computers with the latest video cards etc. For those of you on the cutting edge of technology, for those of you who can afford the extras, I say more power to you.

But please, when you are posting links--keep in mind that videos, pod casts, audio clips etc ARE NOT available to many GSCer's. It just seems to me that if you are going to take the time to post you would want to post links that are accessble to all rather than a select few.

THey all work in the sense of being able to get to the site, The problem is that unless you have a high speed internet connection Video is a stilll followed by a 1 minute pause followed by another still-followed by a 1 minute pause........

Audio is 1-3 words followed by a pause and 1-3 words followwed by a pause--

this makes it impossible to listen to or watch.

The percentage on dialup is about 5%, TL.

On YouTube.com and other sites, there are not choices for a "dialup" link or a "hispeed" link. So I am not sure what your point is.

From GS's point of view, we try to make the site available to all. The podcasts are kept to a size that you could download from even dialup. (That is the main reason that I do multiple part interviews)

The point Paw dear,

is that on dial up down loading --takes from 10 minutes to 2 hours depending on the size of the clip. That is an awfully long time to spend waiting. I realize that people with high speed connections have every right to enjoy the benefits thereof.

My complaint was not so much directed toward say the GS radio thread, as toward posters who post links in the middle of threads that require this much effort to view. It is difficult to respond to a post when you don't have the time to invest in waiting for a link to load. If you are on a public computer you don't even have the option of downloading.

I'm not asking for these kind of links to be stopped, banned or in any way restricted--I am just pointing out that if you want timely discussions on a thread this might not be the best way to go :wave: