GreaseSpot Cafe

Going back to school

likeaneagle

I haave no idea where to start. I want to go back to school to get certified in a position that I can develop my biz working from home..I have looked into Med. Transcription but my typing skills donot exceed 50 wpm..I want a field that is high in demand...

please help....I am so limited..

Likeaneagle,

I used to teach typing (among other things) at a vo-tech school. Typing speed is something that can be easily improved, just by practicing. I taught beginners, and had students enter my class who had never touched a keyboard, and who ended up typing at least 65 words a minute by the end of the quarter. (That was the requirement to pass my class, which was pass/fail.)

My advice would be, don't let something as simple as a typing speed requirement stop you from pursuing something you are interested in. :wub:

And also, I should add something. Here in TX, we have the TX Workforce Commission, which is a great service provided to help job seekers as well as employers. They offer free training classes in all kinds of computer related skills, including keyboarding. It's great because you can do it on your on timetable.

I don't know what state you live in, but maybe there is something similiar available? Also, I've been told there are online typing and keyboarding tutorials that are good, and free too. Of course the advantage to those is doing them from home.

Good luck!

some warning

about training in medical transcription,seriously. This is a problem area.

before you begin any training look at the places you would like to work, ask them what they specifiably need regarding transcription. then check with the "program " you look into and see if it matches.

this is a serious problem here we have many schools not accredited offering "programs" to train in the computer field and folks pay good money for them to find out upon graduation the actual skill and terminology needed to work in the field was not taught in the class.

some of these "training programs" offer out of date technology and lack the accreditation to move you forward in the work force .

talk to the employers to see what they need to hire you. do not go by the stats of the training program that say 99% of our gradutes got a job, doing what exactly hmm in the field doing the work ? um often times not . it is misleading .

certification means you passed a state test, it does not mean you have the skills employers are looking for .

do research find out what the employer want in your area before you put the time money and effort into it.