GreaseSpot Cafe

Bathroom Remodeling Question

Scout Finch02

I am remodeling my basement bathroom. It is a small bathroom with a small vanity (18 by 16 inch to support a 17 by 19 inch sink top). I have looked in all of the big box building supply stores and have found only one style in that small size that is very cheap looking. I would like to find something nicer but very plain, just real wood and sturdily built. Do any of you do it yourselfers or professional remodelers have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any advice.

have a local handy man make onr for you in your choice of wood is my suggestion

good luck

i love the local handy men i my neck of the woods

have a local handy man make onr for you in your choice of wood is my suggestion

good luck

i love the local handy men i my neck of the woods

I don't know how badly you need the storage space in the vanity, but maybe you could put in a pedastal sink?

If you have adequate medicine chest space and a place for towels and the like, they make LOTS of pedastals that fit in a tight spot like that and look nice.

Otherwise I'd get a local cabinet guy to build you one. It's not the cheapest option, but - as you're already finding out - anything commercially available in that small of a size is going to be crap, guaranteed...

Thanks for the suggestions. I had thought about the pedestal sink, but wasn't sure about the plumbing. If there is a plumbing problem, how hard is it to access the drain pipe through the pedestal? I do like the looks of some of the pedestal sinks.

The other thing I had considered was buying a cabinet door (Rockler will make custom door at reasonable price) and making the vanity myself. The vanity I pulled out of the basement is very basic and would be pretty simple to copy. I have the tools to do it, just didn't feel like taking the time because I am very busy with work and other things.

I have not had very good luck with "handymen". The last one I used did a horrible job and was very expensive - and he had references. Guess they had different standards then I do. <_< Since then I have been doing most things myself.

A pedestal sink is really just a wall-hung sink with a column under it.

The sink hangs off the wall on a hanger bracket and the pedestal part simply slids underneath it.

The plumbing is the same as a regular lav. except it's good to have the drain outlet pretty well centered under the sink.

I usually just put a bit of caulking in between the sink and the pedestal to hold it in place. If you need to remove it to service the plumbing, just cut the caulking out with a razor knife.

If you're a little handy with tools, building a small vanity like that would be a snap. Especially when you order the door premade.

I guess it just depends on the look you're after. Either way will function just fine.

You could order a vanity through an independant building supply from Kraftmaid or Medallion or any other cabinet manufacturer. You could ALSO do the same from one of those gawd awful "box stores". By ordering it, you can select wood, stain, doorstyle etc. I do it all the time. Myself, I hate pedastal sinks primarily for their lack of space below, but I never argue with a customer, and people seem to like the fool things.

You can remove a trap with a pedastal sink without needing to remove the sink, and that is normaly allyou need to access for general maintenance.

~HAP