GreaseSpot Cafe

My fly rod and a Chinook salmon!

J0nny Ling0

I caught a 19.6 pound King (Chinook) salmon this evening at the mouth of Auke Creek where it dumps into Auke Bay, Alaska! Whoo hoo! My first King on a fly rod ever! Yeah baby yeah! Man it was fine. I was using a 5 weight fly rod with a 17 pound tippet. The fly was a chartreuse "leech" pattern, and when I hooked him, he went on a scorching run. He stripped line off my reel so fast that it back lashed, got tangled, and stopped dead! Then I just held on, hoping he wouldn't break my line because it had basically come to it's "end" due to the tangle. But, I slowly worked him in, gaining back line until there was more on my reel to work with. And so, after I got him closer, he streaked off again but I was able to keep the breaks on him him till he slowed. Turns out, the fight lasted twenty minutes until I finally slid him in between the rocks and on to a nice bed of kelp. I unhooked the fly, grabbed him by the tail, revived him in the shallow water, and then released him to go off and do his final duties to some spawning female. Aww man! It was so exhilarating! And, there was no one there to witness it bu me and my dawg Jake. No camera, nuttin. But, I thank God for the privilege. Damn that was so fine!

The King in the picture at the link is about the size of the one I caught this evening. And believe it or not, a nineteen pound King is not considered large. But it sure was to me on such a small fly rod!

http://www.fish4salmon.com/pictures/kings/IMG_0685.JPG

Sure wish I could just post the photo. Anybody here can do that?

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Dooj - I don't think the link was dead. I think there were too many people trying to access it and only one or two could get in at a time. I got in - no problem. Sorry it takes so long to load...I don't know how to reduce it!

To post a picture click on the 5th icon from the far right, enter it's location (if it's on your computer you have to upload it). I Then clicked on "properties" and I copied the URL from what he had and pasted them into the space presented when you click that icon. Voilà! It's very late and my thinking is a clear as mud, so I hope that all made sense.

I caught a 19.6 pound King (Chinook) salmon this evening at the mouth of Auke Creek where it dumps into Auke Bay, Alaska! Whoo hoo! My first King on a fly rod ever! Yeah baby yeah! Man it was fine.

I was using a 5 weight fly rod with a 17 pound tippet. The fly was a chartreuse "leech" pattern, and when I hooked him, he went on a scorching run. He stripped line off my reel so fast that it back lashed, got tangled, and stopped dead! Then I just held on, hoping he wouldn't break my line because it had basically come to it's "end" due to the tangle. But, I slowly worked him in, gaining back line until there was more on my reel to work with.

And so, after I got him closer, he streaked off again but I was able to keep the breaks on him him till he slowed. Turns out, the fight lasted twenty minutes until I finally slid him in between the rocks and on to a nice bed of kelp. I unhooked the fly, grabbed him by the tail, revived him in the shallow water, and then released him to go off and do his final duties to some spawning female.

Aww man! It was so exhilarating! And, there was no one there to witness it bu me and my dawg Jake. No camera, nuttin. But, I thank God for the privilege. Damn that was so fine!

The King in the picture at the link is about the size of the one I caught this evening. And believe it or not, a nineteen pound King is not considered large. But it sure was to me on such a small fly rod!

http://www.fish4salmon.com/pictures/kings/IMG_0685.JPG

Sure wish I could just post the photo. Anybody here can do that?

I LOVE paragraphs!! (Easier for *old eyes* to read).

And Jonny -- I've told you twice how to post pics.

Others here have done the same, and you've done it a time or two.

I DON'T understand, why you still can't (if you truely can't).

:)

Edited by dmiller

And Jonny -- I've told you twice how to post pics.

Others here have done the same, and you've done it a time or two.

I DON'T understand, why you still can't (if you truely can't).

Thanks Dmiller. And, I know that you have told me a number of times how to do it, and I have followed that info to a "t". But, it only works "occasionally", and recently I have had no success at all. I really don't thin that it is operator error. Unless that is, my mind is going. But thanks man!

Yeah, that was a nice fish. Nice to have the fun, and nice to release him too. I am somewhat of a "romantic" when it comes to things like that. A good and beautiful fish that gives me a gallant fight like that just some how deserves to be set free. But that's just me I 'spose. Especially because he was my first King on a fly rod. I will probably keep others though, because fresh grilled King salmon is truly awesome with basmati rice, a veg, and my wife's special sauce on the rice and fish. Oh, and a nice bottle of Merlot tops it off perfectly...

Edited by Jonny Lingo