GreaseSpot Cafe

Ohmygod

Jim

Well...with 4 teens in the house, their buddies, etc....their mouths got progressively nastier...I wouldn`t have minded so much but I have younger children in the house that DON`T have the discernment of when it is appropriate to NOT use such language.....

Anyway, we made em start changing the words...if you HAD to say anything....you had to change the words to describe what you were saying without swearing......instead of f ---- you...it was fornicate you, or... manure head...oh urinate on you...or you maternal fornicating low life male off spring of a female canine....anus orfice was always a favorite.....bovine excrement...manure cerebelum....they got pretty creative and it was never anything that the youngsters were even remotely tempted to repeat....

It was a phase they went through, and now we don`t have too much trouble with bad language.

I was never allowed to curse in front of my parents, and still don't do it. Obviously, sometimes things slip out, but that was a big deal. Then there is my brother. He cusses like a sailor in front of my parents and gets away with it because he's the "baby" of the family. It's amazing how the same parents can raise two different kids so differently.

Edited by Mister P-Mosh

Well.. I probably could have insisted that they don`t do it at all pmosh...it IS after all a respect issue. It is a struggle to raise teens today period....I try to pick my battles rather than just camping on their tails dawn till dusk...it is easier to get their willing cooperation than to bully them constantly over the little things...

Language doesn`t bother me personally so much as discernment of where and what is said when it is appropriate. What they say to their buddies certainly isn`t appropriate to say to their younger brothers and sisters...and never in church.

They know if they use particular words around some people that they will not be allowed to participate in activities with them. Their choice.

Anyway, I wouldn`t be so hard on your folks pmosh...You babies don`t come with an instruction manual....we struggle along to do the best we can.....we learn so much with the first child, try so hard to do everything just right, then we realise how anal that we have been ...kind of figure out what is a big deal and what is not....and tend to relax with the next kid.

My children say the same thing about us....how easy my youngest 3 have it compared to them...I said the same thing about my mom and my three younger syblings.....

It ain`t easy to be the oldest and it ain`t fair, but that is how it is...lol :)

Edited by rascal

My children say the same thing about us....how easy my youngest 3 have it compared to them...I said the same thing about my mom and my three younger syblings.....

It ain`t easy to be the oldest and it ain`t fair, but that is how it is...lol :)

That's definitely the truth. I don't hold resentment towards my parents, but I have observed the differences. I just think it's funny that you are getting the teenagers to be careful while the young ones may turn out to be more foul-mouthed than the older ones.

There are advantages and disadvantages to the "rank" of kids. Being the oldest I am a better leader and more self-sufficient. Additionally (according to my wife, who is the youngest of her siblings) when you are the youngest you effectively have older siblings as additional parents to keep you in line.