GreaseSpot Cafe

Museum of Voices: An Autobiographical Miscellany

Seth R.

I stumbled on this when doing a google for the PFAL class, seems interesting and I might buy it. Here's a quick clip:

Page 53 Chapter 1 1971: I was a teenage Wierwille

"It was a crisp, dusky sunday evening in late April 1971 when Cary Potter and I pulled into a slot at the YMCA on the east side of Wichita. The air was cool and comfortable the way it is in Kansas that time of year...

...There under the awning, wearing sandals and Osh-Kosh jeans with on shirt beneath the straps, stood Evan Pyle, beaming like a kid at a circus."

http://books.google.com/books?id=bUeO6Ir2p...kOxdnM#PPA53,M1

So who is this guy, and who else knew him?

Seth

I stumbled on this when doing a google for the PFAL class, seems interesting and I might buy it. Here's a quick clip:

Page 53 Chapter 1 1971: I was a teenage Wierwille

"It was a crisp, dusky sunday evening in late April 1971 when Cary Potter and I pulled into a slot at the YMCA on the east side of Wichita. The air was cool and comfortable the way it is in Kansas that time of year...

...There under the awning, wearing sandals and Osh-Kosh jeans with on shirt beneath the straps, stood Evan Pyle, beaming like a kid at a circus."

http://books.google.com/books?id=bUeO6Ir2p...kOxdnM#PPA53,M1

So who is this guy, and who else knew him?

Seth

I only knew of an Evan Pyle out on WayDale, funny man, I used to have his email but lost it when my pc crashed.

Gosh, what a great find, Seth. Thanks for posting that. It's funny to see my name in print like that. Obviously Jay is a thoughtful guy and I think he's a fine writer. Despite his description I never beat up people in 8th grade, but I did fall in with a tough crowd when I moved to Wichita from the Bay Area (having recently lost both parents to suicide) to live with my grandfather. I was in 8th grade there for less than 6 weeks before my grandfather shipped me off to military school.

I believe that Jay was in ministry with John Juedes for a time, but I don't know where he is now nor what he is doing. I always meant to apologize to him for my role in dragging him into the way. But perhaps he, like I do, sees it as part of God's sovereign plan that the Lord has used to weave together the people we have become.

What an interesting read! The further I go the 'engrossder' I get. The heartbreaking child-beating vignette, though billed as fiction, was only partially so. Though the names are different, I remember the house, the people (the details are there, down to the fingernails), everything.

His getting tossed from the way in 79 makes for gripping reading. What an awful cult.

I used the "search this book" search engine to read some of the chapters....

Wow, I just read pages 118-122, where he is kicked out by Rev King a la vince F, ugh, brings up bad memories, pretty brutal attack on him because he challenged twi's "economic structure"!

He was one of the ones silenced by being driven off after uncovering plagerism through reading Bullinger's and actually telling what the bible says about money for biblical teaching.

Twi's strong arm tactics were always there, they just didn't suddenly appear in the mid '80's and beyond, veepee and his thugs, I mean leaders, were at work early on, this incident took place in 1979.

This is a good read.

It is interesting to note the author, while door to door witnessing in Sheboygan WI, knocks on the door of one of veepee's old classmates from the college and seminary he attended there.  This man is a pastor in a small church there and openly hates veepee.(pg 112)

It would be interesting to see if some of his old classmates are still alive, and what they have to say about him back then.