GreaseSpot Cafe

Coast of Mass

likeaneagle

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Science/2008/..._cape_cod/3041/

Published: April 13, 2008 at 7:23 AM

PROVINCETOWN, Mass., April 13 (UPI) -- Observers say about one-fifth of the world's population of North Atlantic right whales is feeding off the coast of Massachusetts.

The Center for Coastal Studies in Provincetown, Mass., which has done aerial surveys of Stellwagen Bank, puts the number at 79, the Boston Globe reports. There are believed to be only 350 North Atlantic right whales remaining.

A system to monitor underwater sounds detected 219 right whale calls in one 24-hour period last week.

The reason for the gathering is copepods, minute crustaceans that are one of the right whales' main food sources.

I just bought whale watching tickets for my daughter and myself, hope to get a glimpse.

Ships crossing the area have been asked to proceed slowly to avoid hitting feeding whales.

The Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary is an area between Cape Cod and Cape Ann where schools of fish and large numbers of plankton provide food for dolphins and whales.

"When you get that number of animals in one place at one time, it's so exciting," said Dave Wiley, the Stellwagen research coordinator.

© 2008 United Press International. All Rights Reserved.

This material may not be reproduced, redistributed, or manipulated in any form.

Please click on the link below to view the entire article.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Science/2008/...f_cape_cod/3041

I just bought whale watching tickets for my daughter and myself, hope to get a glimpse

Good Luck-- have a great time!

Ive been out three times in the last eight or so years, have always had sightings and a great time.

I went off Gloucester on Cape Ann (from the same pier that The Perfect Storm was filmed). The last time out about three years ago I saw fifteen or more in various stages of diving, leaping, breaching, cavorting, and swimming, --one actually snuggled up near the side of the boat to check us out and I got a very close (10 or 15 feet) "eye to eye" for about a minute or so....great stuff! :)

Bring a camera, your sunblock, and maybe an extra sweatshirt or two (it can go from sunny to brisk in a hurry out there..)

If you go to Gloucester have swordfish (or any seafood really) at any of the local places on the water when you come back--as far as Im concerned it is the absolute best in the world..

whale%20breach%20web.jpg

Edited by mstar1

Sounds great! And also a little scary that theres so few left....we really should be better stewards of the whales and their habitat