GreaseSpot Cafe

Rape of the Sebine

doojable

Look at the emotion in these shots. They are two different sculptures but the subject is the same.

Notice the spiral movement in this one:

sabinas2_small.jpg

Notice how the flesh looks real in this one:

6big.jpg

I got a little confused. The first sculpture is "Rape of the Sebine Woman" by Giambologna

Rape%20of%20the%20Sabine%20Women.jpg

and the second is "Rape of the Proserpine" by Bernini.

bernini2.jpg

Both sculptures are very similar. I just marveled at the detail in the second photo.

Edited by doojable

I got a little confused. The first sculpture is "Rape of the Sebine Woman" by Giambologna

Rape%20of%20the%20Sabine%20Women.jpg

and the second is "Rape of the Proserpine" by Bernini.

bernini2.jpg

Both sculptures are very similar. I just marveled at the detail in the second photo.

I didn't comment on the first post since I couldn't really see the spiral movement in that little box with the red x, but now I see it. The bottom figure in that sculpture is a little disturbing as it's apparent position with it's back to the viewer makes the position of the arm impossible. I need to see another angle.

The texture of the second sculpture is really remarkable.

Both do capture the emotion of the moment and that, more than the composition and the texture is what makes them masterworks.

Great post!

Ron - His arm is going up her back and reaching for her higher shoulder. It's like he's trying to grab her and pull her down.

This event is apparently a big theme among artists.

Here is the story in Wikipedia

The word rape in this context means "abduction". It refers to an event supposed to have occurred in the early history of Rome, shortly after its foundation by Romulus and a group of mostly male followers. Seeking wives in order to found families, the Romans negotiated with the Sabines, who populated the area. The Sabines refused to allow their women to marry the Romans, fearing the emergence of a rival culture. Faced with the extinction of their community, the Romans planned to abduct Sabine women. Romulus invited Sabine families to a festival of Neptune Equester. At the meeting he gave a signal, at which the Romans grabbed the Sabine women and fought off the Sabine men. The indignant abductees were implored by Romulus to accept Roman husbands.

Here is another version of the Myth

Edited by doojable

It's amazing sculpture but the realizm is a bit disturbing.

The realism is what I liked about it Eyes. Now please don't get me wrong. NOT THE THEME!!! But the realism with which someone could work stone like that is amazing - at least to me.

It's amazing sculpture but the realizm is a bit disturbing.

The realism... art can give people a window into intense emotions - but from a safe distance.

In each sculpture, because they are so realistic, you can sense the intense fear of the women.

For instance, just how much would you believe she is fighting to get away if you didn't see the sinews in his hands as he grips her and presses his fingers in to hold on? Without that detail and emotion, there would be some historians today who would suggest that the artist was trying to say that the Sabine was a willing participant in the abduction.

It's disturbing, yes, but for some being disturbed in that way will move them to be more empathetic to others.

After all, it's not like we see that kind of everyday. (THANKFULLY)

IMHO - great art is that which moves the viewer emotionally and is flawless in it's execution.

Edited by doojable

I can understand "art" like this.

An incredible talent, that no doubt took a great deal of time and effort to develop.

Unfortunately, I think "Art" in general lost it's way somewhere between "impressionism" and "cubism" and the like.

Now we have Musem curators that blather on about nonsensical attributes of mere splotches of paint or blocks of rock. And likewise ridicule the unwashed heathen that dare state the obvious "my dog coulda done this". Maybe the pendulum will start on it's return swing sometime soon?

One could hope...

Ron - His arm is going up her back and reaching for her higher shoulder. It's like he's trying to grab her and pull her down.

This event is apparently a big theme among artists.

I was referring to the figure in the forground. It was disturbing to me as it appeared he had his back to the viewer making the head angle awkward and the arm impossible.

Maybe my blood caffeine and nicotine levels weren't up sufficiently when I saw that, however, I went and got a better photo and now it makes perfect sense.

I think this photo is better since it shows the womans facial expression better and it shows the entire figure in the foreground. Since it's from further away and shot from a higher angle, the bad foreshortening effects are also eliminated.

348px-Giambologna_raptodasabina.jpg

Here's another view...

rape.jpg

I like that 2nd pic in post #1 best, showing the hand imprint on the thigh ... and the detail of her shoulder ... looks like a photo.

Here is a high res' picture from a different angle of the first one ... I guess the streaks of marble are more evident ... looks like barb wire on the arm ...?

Edited by rhino

Okay, I get it

I get the detail. I get the emotiuon

What I do not get is the bottom guy. Is he also a rapist or someone who will not help and is afraid of the rapist himself?

He almost looks horrified. But does not look like he is going to do anything as he is UNDER the other guys legs - a submissive stance

Edited by Dot Matrix

Okay, I get it

I get the detail. I get the emotiuon

What I do not get is the bottom guy. Is he also a rapist or someone who will not help and is afraid of the rapist himself?

He almost looks horrified. But does not look like he is going to do anything as he is UNDER the other guys legs - a submissive stance

Dot - today this would be entitled the "Abduction of the Sebine Women"

The man who is grabbing the woman to abduct her is a Roman. The man on the ground is a Sebine who appears to have been over powered.

Remember here too that Giambologna's self-imposed limitation was that he wanted to sculpt this from one piece of marble, so it has to be a rather tight composition.

And yes, Sudo, the photo with the man's hands on the woman's hip is not from the sculpture that Rhino posted - although that sculpture has an equal amount of incredible detail.