GreaseSpot Cafe

What's the Buzz?

doojable

I first heard this on vinyl sometime in the mid-70's. This cut is from the 1973 movie, Jesus Christ Superstar Let me know what you think.

Edited by doojable

I was in Jr. High when it came out. My friend had the album and a single mom that left for work before we had to be at school and worked a couple hours after we were out of school so 4 or 5 of us 13 or 14 year olds would go to their apartment and play Jesus Christ Superstar over and over. We couldn't get enough of it.

I've owned 3 copies of the 2-album-set that I wore out.

As a wow team, we went to see a live performance of this play. Looking through my waybrain eyes, I thought it immature and tacky. What arrogance - we thought WE knew it all...

10 years post Mark and Avoid I bought the DVD of the play - I've been loving it again ever since. I still know about every word to every song but one and I forget which one that is. I think their King Herod is hysterical and love it when I have the opportunity to watch it again.

One of Herod's songs goes something like:

"Oh, so you are the Christ?

Mr. Wonderful Christ?

Prove to me that you're divine -

Change my water into wine."

and

"Prove to me that you're no fool -

walk across my swimming pool!

Just do that for me

and I'll let you go free!

C'mon, King of the Jews."

Wild stuff. Fun memories (mostly).

Cool, another fun version - I wasn't aware of that one. Here's the one I've got on DVD. I just watched it again after watching the one you sent me and the one above. I still like this one best - maybe cause of King Herod's jiggling belly or floppy manboobs while he dances, maybe cause of all the flamboyant dancing - it's a total feast of entertainment for me. I hope you like it as much as I do. King Herod's song to Jesus from the original play - 1973, I think.

Edited by bowtwi