GreaseSpot Cafe

Karate

rascal

As you can see the storm clouds were piling up....lol the gates of heaven opened and poured shortly after the picture was taken. We had a lot of fun, broke some boards, sparred, demonstrated kata.

We have been asked back next year.

Sweet Rascal! My daughter is a 3D in TaeKwonDo and is on her university TKD team. I think TKD was a really good investment for her. She has studied since she was five and is now 19 - almost 20. What you call a kata is called a pooms or "form" in TKD. Phenomenal discipline with some pooms having well over a hundred "moves." Makes the corpse look like a joke. Wanna know why I think that? (Doesn't matter since I am gonna post anyway)... TaeKwonDo RESPECTS others - even your opponents - the corpse (yes I admit to being a grad of) was about making money and recruits for an abusive cult - It really had nothing to do with self-respect and respect of others.

OH BTW TaeKwonDo did not tell parents to use a wooden spoon.

As you can see the storm clouds were piling up....lol the gates of heaven opened and poured shortly after the picture was taken. We had a lot of fun, broke some boards, sparred, demonstrated kata.

We have been asked back next year.

LOL RR :)

Karate is the same way. I tend to think most reputable styles of martial arts are. Congratulations on your terrific daughter. It takes years of hard work, sweat, at times pain, and tears etc to achieve what she has.

I believe that the people that stick with it develop stamina, a physical and mental toughness to see them through even when it gets tough, when exhaustion sets in, they just don`t give up because things aren`t fun any more.

Spot on Rascal - her last test - after the required 4 pooms (over 200 moves each), board breaking, etc, also required 100 vertical snap-kicks, followed by 100 sit-ups followed by 100 push ups - and in TKD they require the parent get down on the mat and count with their child. I'm very proud of her - thank you for your congrats and that same back at you.

LOL RR :)

Karate is the same way. I tend to think most reputable styles of martial arts are. Congratulations on your terrific daughter. It takes years of hard work, sweat, at times pain, and tears etc to achieve what she has.

I believe that the people that stick with it develop stamina, a physical and mental toughness to see them through even when it gets tough, when exhaustion sets in, they just don`t give up because things aren`t fun any more.

That is impressive, I mean it. How many kids in today`s world can accomplish what your kiddo did?

I didn`t know what was required of a tkd student to achieve rank, my understanding and already high respect for your style has risen even higher.

So many schools simply give the belts as a matter of course. I know of one even in our style that frustrates the stew out of me...the kids reaching brown in a year...heck it took 6 1/2 years of really hard work to earn our black belts.

Oh and we weren`t told to use wooden spoons in karate either.

One of mine is currently testing for her black. It is about a 6 month process. She will be tested on technique, forms, stamina. She has to complete a 50 question written exam that requires several paragraghs to a page to answer each one.

It takes weeks, all of which she has to complete BEFORE being permitted to go to the board of black belts for our style here in the us.

I love reading about the rigid standards required by tkd as well. When you have earned that belt, you have really accomplished something.

I know that your kiddo recognizes that it isn`t even about physical abilities....but something that you are inside.

Courtesy, honesty, integrity, reverence, respect, are some of the bb principles that I remember.

One of mine is currently testing for her black. It is about a 6 month process. She will be tested on technique, forms, stamina. She has to complete a 50 question written exam that requires several paragraghs to a page to answer each one.It takes weeks, all of which she has to complete BEFORE being permitted to go to the board of black belts for our style here in the us.I love reading about the rigid standards required by tkd as well. When you have earned that belt, you have really accomplished something.I know that your kiddo recognizes that it isn`t even about physical abilities....but something that you are inside.Courtesy, honesty, integrity, reverence, respect, are some of the bb principles that I remember.
Then - while Karate is Japanese and TaeKwonDo is Korean (long history there we won't delve into) - here are some traditional Korean drums to urge her on for her test. Best wishes on her pursuit.