GreaseSpot Cafe

Oldest New Testament Out of Egypt into Cyberspace

Seth R.

Acharya S. sent me an email linking to her blog on the Oldest intact Greek new testament dating to around 350 AD/CE found in Egypt is to be released on the internet in a few days. As an ex-TWI I'm fascinated, as a skeptic I'm pleased that such an important document will be shared for believers and non-believers alike to ponder and make their own translations rather then rely on biased theologians squirreled away in some library making his own translations.

Here's a link to Acharya's blog

Here's a snip:

Monday, July 21, 2008

Oldest New Testament Out of Egypt into Cyberspace

In a move reflective of the power of technology, the oldest New Testament Bible will be placed online for all the world to examine. Of course, this is great news for students of Bible manuscripts. One fascinating fact about this archaeological gem is its origin in Egypt.

The New Testament manuscript in question is the Codex Sinaiticus, distinguished from earlier manuscripts by virtue of its completeness, containing all the canonical texts along with the Epistle of Barnabas and the Shepherd of Hermas, the former of which has been shown to have a provenance of Alexandria, Egypt. Along with the Codex Vaticanus, the CS is the oldest intact manuscript, dating to around 350 AD/CE.

Importantly, the Codex Sinaiticus was discovered and evidently written in Egypt, a locale vastly overlooked in studies of Christian origins. It is my contention, in fact, that without factoring in Egyptian religion and mythology, the study of Christian origins will always be incomplete and faulty, because it is unquestionably out of Egypt that Christ was called, so to speak, as a mythical rehash largely of the Egyptian gods Osiris and Horus.

"Out of Egypt have I called my son."

--The Gospel of Matthew (2:15)

Enjoy,

Seth