GreaseSpot Cafe

Blame God for the subprime mess

Sudo

Do you guys remember hearing in TWI that you couldn't out give God? The more money you gave to TWI then the more money God would give to you? It didn't make sense to me then... especially for those on a fixed income but it was widely taught.

TWI isn't the only religion to teach this so-called prosperity Christianity. Here's what Time magazine has to say:

Has the so-called Prosperity gospel turned its followers into some of the most willing participants — and hence, victims — of the current financial crisis? That's what a scholar of the fast-growing brand of Pentecostal Christianity believes. While researching a book on black televangelism, says Jonathan Walton, a religion professor at the University of California at Riverside, he realized that Prosperity's central promise — that God will "make a way" for poor people to enjoy the better things in life — had developed an additional, dangerous expression during the subprime-lending boom. Walton says that this encouraged congregants who got dicey mortgages to believe "God caused the bank to ignore my credit score and blessed me with my first house." The results, he says, "were disastrous, because they pretty much turned parishioners into prey for greedy brokers."

Here's the link: God provides

sudo

George,

Funny how the principles are the same. Here's another snippet from the article:

"Prosperity theology adds a distinctive layer of supernatural positive thinking. Adherents will reap rewards if they prove their faith to God by contributing heavily to their churches"

Now where have we heard THAT before?

sudo