GreaseSpot Cafe

Everything old is new again...

tonto

I don't know if this is even topic-worthy, but this weekend two young women, Moonies, came to our door. I had just come back home from grocery shopping, hubs and daughter were out walking the dogs, and I heard the doorbell ring and figured it was high schoolers raising money for band. One of the girls was holding a box and the other must have been the designated spokesperson, because she launched into her pitch about being on a mission with her non-denominational church and blah blah blah. I didn't hear anything after she said "non-denominational church" so I stopped her and asked her the name of her church, and she said "Unification Church". I told her that many years ago I spent a good deal of time and energy in another "non-denominational church" and that I'm not interested but told them to have a good day. I wanted to sit them down and warn them of wasting their youth serving a cult leader but I didn't believe they would listen.

The thing that hit me was that it's a new generation now, and even with so much information a keystroke away, most younger people don't know about the moonies, the children of God, the way and all the splinters. Shoot, many young people can't find Idaho on a map.

I tell myself that people know better now, but that's not true. There's a new generation, ripe for the picking. Just look at V2P2's "farm".

with religion, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

unfortunately, power-hungry narcissists in religion will always seek out victims and do what it takes to recruit them.

I'm equally thankful for freedom of religion in america. everyone should be able to make their own choice to worship, or not.