GreaseSpot Cafe

George Lopez

cheranne

George Lopez: Orale, Latinos!

First for the big news: George Lopez announced at his concert at AT&T Center on Saturday that his next HBO special will be broadcast live from San Antonio in early August 2009.

The decision, which the comic claimed he made onstage, is a testament to his popularity here. About 12,000 rowdy fans attended Saturday's show.

Lopez championed la raza's new political clout -- and it's shortcomings.

He called Barack Obama "more latte" than black and Joe Biden "Drac" for Dracula.

"I think Sarah Plain is Latina," said Lopez.

What's his evidence?

"She has all the signs of being Latina. She works and her husband doesn't. She talks a lot of (expletive) and her husband doesn't say a (expletive) thing. She has a 17-year-old daughter that's pregnant. Really Latina. She's a grandmother with a nine-month-old baby. Extremely Latina.

All of it delivered through Lopez's outrageous and outrageously accurate barrio lens.

"Orale, Latinos! Orale, Mexicanos!" was his battle cry as he hit the stage. It was, according to the star, a "just trying to scare white people" moment.

"It's brown time," Lopez announced. "There are 43 million Latinos in the United States -- 40 million of them in San Antonio."

Onstage, Lopez is a rock star, a Bill Cosby for la raza. "Charlotte's Web" will never ring the same for anyone in the building -- neither will the name Cody.

Early in the show, Lopez ridiculed the notion of a fence along the U.S.-Mexico border.

"It's like putting a condom on after you (expletive)," he said gleefully.

Trendy children's names fared no better. "You know somewhere in San Antonio there's a Skylar Gutierrez," said Lopez, whose disapproval is a muttered (expletive.)

In this political year, Lopez's act seems more confident than ever, more confrontational. There's no doubt that the world is changing. Lopez co-opted Obama's "Yes We Can" slogan for some sly, harsh zingers.

What does the future hold? "Everybody's gonna be brown," said Lopez.

And who knows, he may one day be an agent of change. "You want me to run for president? I'll run," he said.

-- Hector Saldana

I must correct him. San Antonio is only 70 miles away. And I know for a fact that there arn't over 23,000,000 Latinos in SA. It only seems that many.

The most important words in spanish are ?Donde esta Banjo?

If you don't know any spanish start learning.

Please note that my comments here are made as a joke. I grew up in SA as a minority white guy. Latinos can be great people. Its the white guy thats smiling that is about to cut your heart out.