GreaseSpot Cafe

Inspiring Quotes and Books

doojable

Here's a quote that a friend sent me.

"It should be your care, therefore, and mine, to elevate the minds of our children and exalt their courage; to accelerate and animate their industry and activity; to excite in them an habitual contempt of meanness, abhorrence of injustice and inhumanity, and an ambition to excel in every capacity, faculty, and virtue. If we suffer their minds to grovel and creep in infancy, they will grovel all their lives."

—John Adams, Dissertation on the Canon and Feudal Law, 1756

This came in an email after I heard about a book I plan on reading called The Open Mind

Linky-poo

The timing was perfect and I thought some of you fine folks might have some thoughts - either about this quote or something similar that inspires you.

Not inspiring, perhaps, but I find the Federalist Papers (and the opposing "Anti-Federalist Papers") fascinating. The debates about the power of government are timely today. The Papers, as well as the Declaration and Constitution are HERE. For those interested in the Articles of Confederation, which were replaced by our Constitution, check HERE.

George

Warning: there is a LOT to read here.