GreaseSpot Cafe

Unhandled Exceptions

HAPe4me

Rather than post a specific problem on mchud's thread, I am starting a new one to deal with a UE (unhandled exception) that comes up with my CAD program on my laptop.

I solved my problem on my desktop computer that I was having with the CAD program,(Turbocad 15 Deluxe), by updating my video driver. I have a Dell Latitude D600 laptop that I can't get it to work on however. The only issue I see with it hardware wise, is the recommended processor speed. I have 1.6ghz Pentium M. The minimum requirements for the program do not specify a speed but their recommended speed is a 2.2 P4 I could handle the program working slower, or having difficulty with 3D rendering, but I cannot get the program past the loading a blank template stage even on 2D drawings.

What happens is I get a UE and a screen asking me if I want to debug. This is followed by the "send report" thing to MS, which only comes back saying this is a problem caused by Windows and tells me to check my updates. Updates on my XP are all current, and I have all the drivers checked.

The latest driver for my Mobility Radeon 9000 card are from 2005, except for a few hacked drivers out there for gamers. I tried those, but there are settings in them for gamers that I do not know how to use, so I have reverted to the 2005 ATI driver. I used to get pretty much the same UEs when I first tried to load the program on my desktop puter, but as I said I finally solved that one.

If anyone thinks they might have some ideas, I will be glad to post the other specs and the UE that comes up. It mentions MFC42.dll as you can see in the paste below. I do have two versions od that .dll on my computer, but do not know which is the correct one for the program.

What info would one need to try and get this solved? I am not totally ignorant on tech stuff, but am certainly not proficient at debugging stuff like this. Just let me know what you need to help me, and I will do what I can do.

Here is the first part of the UE details

System: Windows XP, version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3Reason:Tcw15.exe caused an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in module MFC42.DLL at 001B:73E4898FRegisters:EAX=00000083 EBX=00000003 ECX=0759E880 EDX=00000000 ESI=00000000EDI=0658EC28 EBP=0012D80C ESP=0012D698 EIP=73E4898F FLG=00210297CS=001B DS=0023 SS=0023 ES=0023 FS=003B GS=0000Stack:001B:73E4898F MFC42.DLL001B:005FD6A1 Tcw15.exe, CMetricsDialog::OnSendNotificationSequence()+540531 byte(s)001B:005FE125 Tcw15.exe, CMetricsDialog::OnSendNotificationSequence()+543223 byte(s)001B:005FCBA8 Tcw15.exe, CMetricsDialog::OnSendNotificationSequence()+537722 byte(s)001B:0061DCE9 Tcw15.exe, CMetricsDialog::OnSendNotificationSequence()+673211 byte(s)001B:0061DF5D Tcw15.exe, CMetricsDialog::OnSendNotificationSequence()+673839 byte(s)001B:0061E038 Tcw15.exe, CMetricsDialog::OnSendNotificationSequence()+674058 byte(s)001B:73DE13CF MFC42.DLL

Thanks for any help one might be able to pass on.

~HAP

Ya, ah, so it looks like Tcw15.exe is the executable for Turbo Cad 15. In using Turbo Cad, the application, there is a call for a service to the operating system and the operating system considers "the way" the call is being made an exception, so then there is a crash. The particulars are that mfc42.dll is in the system code area, operating system arena... well, and I do my best to like summarize as an opinion, my opinion is that this limitation will continue. To me, I see no fix, unless we are talking about Turbo Cad or the video driver. This is a case of "not playing well with others". It looks to me that you are using the application and it breaks. Software is tested by companies on a variety of computers and configurations, however, not all conditions, all configurations, the depth and breadth of that testing is the line the particular software company draws itself. And, of course I am not critizing the quality of the product, you do use it, I am sure it is a fine product.

Debugging is the granularity (the depth of the details) required to track a problem to the source and with your attachment there is enough there to say more time spent by you on solving it is potentially a dead end. If a new video driver comes out, you have an option, or if Turbo Cad continues to upgrade you have an option. Those look like the most likely players here. And even more depressing, fixes to both players could be required. Hence, the madness..we cant get there from here..

If you think of the problem as an onion, and the lower level you go to find the software steps that lead to the error/crash, that I am sure we would agree is the source..well, finding the source still appears to lead the problem to be out of your hands. If you do have some contact with Turbo Cad or can get in with Turbo Cad with the issue, there is a potential for a resolution, that would be the best first direction, ...video card manufacturer, a second choice...

So, in wrapping this up, way to lengthy already. You never really know about software manufacturers, they can be flexible they can be a black box, in putting myself in your shoes, I would say with the very, very limited info I have on Turbo Cad, who knows they may listen to you, an investment of 5 or 10 minutes for you in an email, and they write back or they don't.

---nerd alert---again, I salute you if you made it this far------------------

TCW15.EXE needs a service done by MFC42.DLL, but its request isn't obeying the rules:

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in module MFC42.DLL at 001B:73E4898F (this is merely the where, a virtual memory location, not a physical location)

The debug shows you also the values contained in the registers of your computer.

The EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION line comes from XP itself, as in an Operating System is the traffic cop or big brother. The Operating System defines who gets to do what, when and where as far as software, and it is a good thing..Without a traffic cop, badly behaving software could overwrite data, so the operating system really defines the boundaries other software runs in.

======================================

regards, michael

Edited by mchud11

well, thanks for the effort. I have used T-cad for years, but just recently upgraded to this version. They do have free tech support and I will give them a try. Others who have posted about this problem with the program were running Acer's and turning off some resident program on their computers enabled the program to work.

T-Cad is put out by IMSI, and is fairly highly rated amongst folks in busihnesses like me. It is more user friendly than Autocad, and it has been around for many years.

My desktop runs the whole program fine now, which leads me to think it must be either the configuration on the laptop, the video card or the XP version. At least I can save on the desktop and drop the drawings into a PDF to view on the laptop for now.

You seem to think that it is not a matter of the program cannot find mfc42 I take it and not a problem in the various stored locations of MFC42? I was hoping that would be it. There seems to be a few differences as to where the two computers have that file stored.

ATI has dropped support for the video card, so there is no likelihood of an official updated driver there. I tried a highly rated hacked driver, but could not figure out what settings in it to try. I will play around some more or just go get a new laptop. (anyone want 2 gig of PC 2700 memory?)LOL

You get a beer for trying, I was gonna go for a whole 12 pack if you had fixed it for me! (shoot the forums don't have a beer icon.) I will get you one in chat sometime.

And hence the rise of the Penguin!!! (Linux)

hmmm now there is an idea. might be worth trying if IMSI supports Linux

darn it doesnt really. some older versions work with Linux through Wine, but tht doesnt help me

Edited by HAPe4me

HAP;

This reply bounces around a bit, in the good to know area. A bit of a ramble, but thats ok.

In stepping back just a bit, lets talk about speed. Most of the time, how fast a program runs is not a necessity, more of an convenience for you and I. Yet, the software manufacturer has options in that regard, he can design the program to, for instance, start to load, but as it loads it checks to see if the minimum requirements are present on the PC, if they aren't present it just stops. I am not saying this is the way Turbo Cad is, but this is the way some software is designed. Now other software, works differently, the minimum requirements, if not met, the software runs, just runs slower, testing our patience for something to get done, but it does run.

So, in thinking about Turbo Cad, I can't say, from a common sense view, why speed is the source problem of the product breaking, its a possibility I do give you that, but if that is true, it is by design, or better put, by decision, and the real answer can only come from the designer. It is unlikely the manufacturer is going to tell you as that goes well under the hood so to speak, you would be asking about information that falls into the Patents arena. And Patents are, quite frankly, now days, 80 percent or more of a high tech companies assets. The Patent could be as simple as a process or a series of steps that accomplish a specific task.

Speeding up a PC, is maintenance, and its part of the name of the game with computers. A great example is the one you reference, upgrading a video driver. That idea has two parts: compatibility and speed. Software designers put their products out in the market, after drawing a line on how many issues still remain with regard to the software...like a compromise, a compromise they can live with. In other words, software will always have bugs, its a question of how serious those bugs are. So, as far as fixes and upgrades go, the manufacturer fixes the major compatibility issues reported to it by users or their in house testers. Secondly, there tends to be room for improvement, the code guys write tighter code that results in less computer resources being used and the result is a faster driver.

PC's are a compromise, always. Another line drawn. You pay for technology, a premium for cutting edge, and the price point goes down from there. Upgrade-ability of the PC is by design within the limitations of how fast and furious the market is changing, as in, so many, many players, all looking out for a piece of the market. Laptops by design have less upgrade-ability. Most of our time with PC's is with upgrading software.

Working with PC's is a mind set. As a consumer, I keep my eyes and ears open. Its important to me to keep on the prowl for better tools to enhance my experience, my PC lags so I find the best defragger on the market or the best registry fixer, or upgrade my processor. And I have to do that because of what the PC business is, a business cycle.

As we go, I get farther off the subject, but it is interesting. For the most part, software manufacturers make their money off of two areas: upgrades and standards. And this applys to hardware as well. Microsoft, Cisco, name anyone, their money comes from designing standards, which is not the same as the implementation of something physical. Setting a standard is like a push into a market, for example, Microsoft develops DirectX, Microsoft uses it in some products, but they get more money from licensing the standard, its adoption by gaming companies, and on and on. Cisco, does networking, yes, they sell network products, but they focus on designing standards, which is really just a way of accomplishing some form of work, solving a problem. The standards Cisco designs for the most part are protocols, the way networking hardware is to communicate. Design the standard and you influence the market, it may be only for a year, but it may be for a decade.

In closing, this ramble. The big picture is interesting to discuss. Having worked in the software development area, manufacturing, standards, protocols, the whole ball of wax has been a wonderful ride. And the really great news is none of it has ever been rocket science, I leave that to the coders. I just got into PC's as a focus, and nothing more, no real academics, for the most part, all self taught. I have had plenty of schooling along the way, to fill in, so to speak. To me, the PC world is like a war I will never win, I have merely found that most of the battles are fun, as long as I can tolerate the details...

regards,

Michael