GreaseSpot Cafe

Deprogramming - back in 1974

mchud11

Warning - caffeinated beverage in hand-

Folks, I thought I would bring up another experience from my TWI days, for the hell of it, see what you think, what you experienced.

I was in Nashville, TN in 1974. There was a lot of concern about deprogrammers. TWI, to my memory was emphaziing this trend in the country about deprogrammers. The facts as relayed to me, though teaching tapes (HQ - Sunday night), and I believe a tape sent "exclusively" to the WOW's on the field focused on deprogramming. TWI was saying deprogramming, a bunch of it was going on in the country, mostly with regard to "other" organizations in the U.S., but there was some real concern with regard to deprogramming spilling over to TWI. And there may have even been an example or two or three with regard to someone/some TWI folks getting kidnapped/deprogrammed....my memory just isn't clear enough on the details.

Anyway, at that point in my life, if Dr. Wierwille said something, I took it all in. And I definitely remember believing, or convincing myself that the resistance my family had to me being involved/associated with TWI, dropping out of college, ect...well, equalled my family being set on kidnapping me. Doctor said it, so it applied to me, and I was very frightened..

So, Doctor's influence on me, on the WOW field, during Christmas of 1974, where HQ had given permission to everyone in the WOW program to "go home" for Christmas, have a break from the field, whatever, meant to me, that I had no where to go...no where.. I accepted the fact that going home meant facing deprogramming, so I chose to go to HQ for Christmas.

Le Ella Danielson and I went up to HQ for Christmas, drove up there in her car. And we had actually been invited, the invitation was on a tape, I believe part of a Sunday Night HQ tape...

The long and the short of it was that I got invited into Doctors office and Mr. Glick was there and Doctor was reviewing/listenning to an edit of a new Way Productions album to be released.

And in the dining room, at the meals, I watched Doctor and LCM. I remember LCM being a real "firecracker", in that he was on the phone, calling people to get them into the PFAL Class. And last, but not least, I went into to town, New Knowville, and John Townsend and like 40 or 50 believers were sitting on the ground, not enough chairs, for like a Way coffee house type meeting in a building I think that used to be an old church that I was under the impression that TWI had purchased...

And back to Nashville. So, how many of you can relate to this sort of mind set that I feel I took without any real evidence, or confirmation outside of TWI (like the news or newspaper) ?

michael

And back to Nashville. So, how many of you can relate to this sort of mind set that I feel I took without any real evidence, or confirmation outside of TWI (like the news or newspaper) ?

michael

That's one of the real dangers of isolationism/insulationism.

It's part of why parents try to keep their kids from getting mixed up with the wrong crowd.

There's no outside reference to gauge reality.

I'm sure as a former FLO, you probably remember how we lived in our own little world out there in the middle of Podunk, USA. No phones, no TVs, no newspapers, no real contact with the outside world except for our 9-5 secular jobs. And even that was isolated because we weren't supposed to be there to benefit ourselves. We were supposed to witness to co-workers and turn the leads over to local twigs. We were supposed to be going to those jobs as representatives of The Way. If the jobs provided limited opportunities to do so or conflicted with FLO scheduling, we were supposed to move on. We were being used as unwitting drones in wierwille's business endeavor.

So, yes, I can certainly "relate" to this sort of mind set.

That's one of the real dangers of isolationism/insulationism.

It's part of why parents try to keep their kids from getting mixed up with the wrong crowd.

There's no outside reference to gauge reality.

I'm sure as a former FLO, you probably remember how we lived in our own little world out there in the middle of Podunk, USA. No phones, no TVs, no newspapers, no real contact with the outside world except for our 9-5 secular jobs. And even that was isolated because we weren't supposed to be there to benefit ourselves. We were supposed to witness to co-workers and turn the leads over to local twigs. We were supposed to be going to those jobs as representatives of The Way. If the jobs provided limited opportunities to do so or conflicted with FLO scheduling, we were supposed to move on. We were being used as unwitting drones in wierwille's business endeavor.

So, yes, I can certainly "relate" to this sort of mind set.

Waysider, you really have always come across to me as a real "gentleman", intelligent, responsive, focused..and I do not mean this as false flattery, or lip service. I do read as many of your posts as possible, its very much appreciated.

Your response, very much indicates to me, some genuine honesty, it all makes sense, its all validating. I think that GSC, has a great deal of value for folks, its like we having been associated with TWI are a distinct community of individuals. michael