GreaseSpot Cafe

I Need Your Help for 3 Projects

John M Knapp LMSW

I am looking for members of any toxic group, but particularly TWI and abusive Christian Churches, to interview for two upcoming web events and a book that I am writing.

You may specify that your interview be kept anonymous or not, as you choose.

All that's required is a broadband connection, as well as access to a web cam and microphone. The interviews themselves would likely be less than 1/2 hour.

If you have contributions to the following topics, please consider contacting me at jmknapp53@gmail.com or calling me directly at 518.651.6490. We will schedule the interview at your convenience.

You could really make a difference in someone's life by investing just 30 minutes!

Interview Topics

• What has helped you the most in recovering from toxic-group-related trauma?
    <li>Have you noticed marked improvement in your life since leaving your toxic group?
  • What problems continue for you — even after leaving your toxic group?
  • Have you noticed — or wondered about — any side-effects from meditation, prayer, or speaking in tongues, such as "spacing out," forgetting what you are talking about in mid-conversation, involuntary meditative states, or the like
  • Did you have any children practicing meditation or speaking in tongues in the past? Did they enjoy it? Did you notice any questionable side effects?
  • Do you have strong feelings about teaching meditation, prayer, or similar practices in schools? Is this a church-and-state issue for you?

I'm sure other topics will come up in our conversation! Thanks for considering this. Feel free to share your questions or concerns by email or replies to this post.

J.

John M. Knapp, LMSW

Recovery from Toxic Groups, Abusive Churches & Cults

KnappFamilyCounseling.com

I've already begun receiving phone calls. Thanks so much to this community for responding quickly to my request for help!

J.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but are those phone calls from this site, or from the Mochat site

(where you posted the identical *request for help*)???

And --- have you also posted this on other sites as well??

I'm supposing that this will mean money in your pocket, while dispensing advice to *toxic cultists*.

Will there be any monetary remuneration to those who decide to participate? Eh?

Given my past experience in twi (and splinters thereafter),

I'm extremely leery of anyone who encourages me to *open up*,

and expect to make a living off of it.

No offense meant --- but this comes cross as a *shameless plug* to make some cash off of other's stories. (imo)

Perhaps I'm reading you wrong, and if so --- I apologize. Call what I've got a *gut feeling*.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but are those phone calls from this site, or from the Mochat site

(where you posted the identical *request for help*)???

And --- have you also posted this on other sites as well??

I'm supposing that this will mean money in your pocket, while dispensing advice to *toxic cultists*.

Will there be any monetary remuneration to those who decide to participate? Eh?

Given my past experience in twi (and splinters thereafter),

I'm extremely leery of anyone who encourages me to *open up*,

and expect to make a living off of it.

No offense meant --- but this comes cross as a *shameless plug* to make some cash off of other's stories. (imo)

Perhaps I'm reading you wrong, and if so --- I apologize. Call what I've got a *gut feeling*.

Well, dmiller, you're certainly not being a jerk. I'm glad you asking your questions and raising your concerns. If you wonder, probably others do as well, but did not choose to post. So, thanks for taking the time to ask!

I've gotten two contacts from this site, and others from other sites. I did post this on a few forums. I don't know if you bumped into this before or not, but authors seeking interviews in the mental health and recovery area is a very common practice. It just may not have happened here before.

To answer your question, no I would not be reimbursing individuals who take part. This is not the practice in this field, and if you think about it, it might call into question the nature of their testimony.

Some people enjoy sharing their experiences, challenges, and insights. Some don't. It's my hope that if this is not your thing, you just skip the message.

I understand your caution about opening up your story to anyone. A number of people who have worked with me have certainly quizzed me pretty directly on this topic. I think everyone who has had their trust betrayed SHOULD be cautious!

I do my best to offer reassuring material on my website. (The largest part of which is free self-help articles, particularly on cult recovery.) I am also a licensed professional who would lose his license if I were taking advantage of anybody.

As far as making cash off other stories, you may not realize this, but the kind of self-help book I am writing probably will only cover the expenses of producing it. It's not generally a way to make one's living. (There are some notable exceptions, but certainly not in the very small cult recovery world.)

The other point is that a self-help book is largely about reaching people who do not need or prefer not to engage in therapy. So in that way, I am not seeking new clients through a self-help book -- I'm trying to tell people that many can do this for themselves. I'm trying to put myself out of business!

I urge anyone who feels any discomfort about sharing your story, even anonymized, not consider contacting me. But if you feel getting your story out might help other people, I hope you will consider contacting me.

No need for apologies, dmiller! I thought your concerns were valid and your way of putting your questions quite respectful. I'm really glad you chose to ask them publicly!

J.

what is the book going to be called?

Hi, cheranne,

The working title is "Healing Your Spiritual Wounds: How You Can Recover from a Toxic Group, Abusive Church, or Cult." I'm sure it will change before publication -- should I be so lucky as to be published.

By the way, the bulk of the material that will appear in the book is already available to the public for free at my website. I'm seeking to have it published because the promotion that a publishing company can offer means I'll be able to reach many more people with my message than otherwise.

I'll be very lucky to earn enough money to cover the expenses of writing the book!

J.

John -- Thanks for your reply. I'm glad you saw my post as an honest question (which it was), rather than an accusation.

To answer your question, no I would not be reimbursing individuals who take part.

This is not the practice in this field, and if you think about it, it might call into question the nature of their testimony.

That's a good point. I didn't think of that. :doh: