GreaseSpot Cafe

Why We Must Speak Up

doojable

Here is a powerful reading of the Declaration of Independence. Please consider how much was put on the line by so many so that we voice our concern and dissent. Remember how much is lost when we acquiesce and march in lock-step.

Here also is a link to the Bill of Rights. Please take the time to read them.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/co...llofrights.html

Note that the first amendment both empowers the individual while it limits the government concerning freedom of speech and freedom of religion.

*Please don't move this to the Politics Forum right away. I think it's a subject worth remembering out in the open.*

Thanks Doojable. Much more than the strains of patriotic music or the symbols that too easily become idols, the simple ideals that to be born human is to be accorded dignity and to choose one's own way as one's conscience should direct are the true expressions of what it means to be an American.

Besides the document itself, one of the telling lines is in the opening, (loosely quoted) "a group of politicians gathers in this building to plot what turns out to be a revolution" While the wierwille apologists and TWI apologists strive to maintain their loyalty to "the king" others have revolted (yes double entendre meant). Keep speaking up on GSC about "the other side of the story." Let the Tories remain loyal to "the king." You will not persuade them to leave their allegiance nor is it worth the effort of trying (although it certainly is entertaining at times). Let them rot in their copies of the "blue book" while you plow new and fertile ground and build a life without the religious oppression stuffed down so many people's throats. Oh - hmmmm - I cannot prove any of the above in a court of law....

While life is short and fleeting, the principles that Jefferson wrote in this document are eternally inspiring. I had a lump in my throat as I listened to the reading of this fabulous document.

Let it be known that as long as people's hearts hold on to the sentiments of this document, we shall be a free people....amen and amen.

Amen indeed, Groucho. I started this thread because I believe that we are allowing our freedom to slip away - one right at a time - in favor of convenience, popularity and the almighty dollar.

And as RumRunner pointed out, this is precisely the reason for speaking up here at GSC and speaking out against any form of group think that is imposed on us, both individually and collectively.

I agree our rights are slipping away. Exactly why we must speak up.

Holy mackeral...I agree with White Dove!!! Never thought I would say that!

As far as I'm concerned, as long as I am still breathing, I will speak truth against power. In the final analysis our personal integrity and what we believe in is all that we have.

...the rest is just fluff.