GreaseSpot Cafe

Internet Explorer 8.

WordWolf

In a moment of distraction, I forgot my usual policy of distrust of Windows programs.

I updated my Windows XP and saw a new IE there- IE 8.

Foolishly, I downloaded it.

"Data Execution Protection" insists on shutting it. In other words, Windows isn't playing

well with WINDOWS. I tried fixing it, but ultimately I needed to delete it.

For those running XP, I would recommend not loading it, at least not now.

Let them keep it running for 3-6 months while thousands of people complain and they

finally fix the thing. Those of you running Vista, I presume it runs with that-

but I have no guarantee. You might wait on downloading it, too.

IT sucks I now have to choose either Explorer or Mozilla as my default and if I want to use the other then I have to disable one to use the other

SO I made a compramize Explorer at work becasue some work related programs I use only work with explorer and my favoirte Mozilla at home where I need it the most

IT sucks I now have to choose either Explorer or Mozilla as my default and if I want to use the other then I have to disable one to use the other

(snip)

Ah, WHY do you have to DISABLE one to use the other?

I'm on Windows XP. (I presume Vista does the same-I've heard no outcry on it, I'm sure Linux works like this.)

IE is still set as my default. Once it opens, I either use it, or- much more often- close it and manually open Firefox.

I use Firefox for all my browsing. I use IE for Windows Updates and things like that.

Ah, WHY do you have to DISABLE one to use the other?

I'm on Windows XP. (I presume Vista does the same-I've heard no outcry on it, I'm sure Linux works like this.)

IE is still set as my default. Once it opens, I either use it, or- much more often- close it and manually open Firefox.

I use Firefox for all my browsing. I use IE for Windows Updates and things like that.

Same here. IE is set to open to a blank page. Firefox is set to always restore the previous session(s). A minor nuisance at most.

Linux (while it does not run IE unless you are running VMware or something similar) obeys the same rules of a "default browser."

You do _not_ have to disable one browser to run another. You _do_ have to choose which browser is the default browser that runs automatically when you click on a website link in your email app, or any other app.

You do _not_ have to disable one browser to run another. You _do_ have to choose which browser is the default browser that runs automatically when you click on a website link in your email app, or any other app.

Hmm I worded that badly ..

I use both browsers or did until recently at work E and Mozilla/firfox on my XP but I recently did some update and now I have to set one as the default and it will no let me open both browsers at the same time.

I prefer using Mozilla but for some of my work apps I have to use explorer.

I am sure there is some setting I have to go hunt down and click to use both simultaneously I just haven't found it yet.

And it is annoying when I am trying to hurry through something to have to stop and tell it to load stuff (probably still a bad explanation) for the record it has only been in the last couple of weeks and since most people only use one browser they probably don't deal with it.

Edited by leafytwiglet