GreaseSpot Cafe

Wanna buy a truck?

Ron G.

Last week a friend talked me into listing my old toy trucks on ebay just to see what might happen. After all, I really don't play with them much any more.

I've bought some stuff from ebay...mostly photo stuff...I even have a gold star by my name...but this is my first time selling.

Lo and behold! They up to nearly $300 right now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tonka-toy-pick-up-truc...alenotsupported

I'm really happy with my first ebay experience. I put some Danbury mint stuff up, also, but that's not doing so well. I guess next week I'll dig out my old toy trains.

Has anyone else had any experience with this?

Ron, my dad's a long-time old toy collector (the toys are old and so is he). He's done very well with both buying and selling on eBay. Keeps him out of the pool hall at age 89, almost 90. :D

As for Danbury Mint items, and most other marketed-to-be-collecitble doodads, people are very lucky to get back even what they paid for them. At least that's been my observation.

If you ever want to sell something you think is valuable on eBay, it's a good idea to watch completed auctions for a while to see what items of similar vintage/condition are going for. I recently got $141 for a book I paid $1 for at an estate sale because I noticed furious bidding on a later edition of the same book and quickly listed my copy 3 days before that other sale ended. I was planning to sell it anyway, but noticing that other sale and jumping in there when I did improved my outcome.

Garth, I still have some twi stuff to sell, so I watch what it's going for from time to time. The winning bids are all over the board. I've seen some things go ridiculously high and then not sell at all at another time. It only takes two people who really want something to boost the bids to the skies. If only one person wants it, it will go for the minimum bid.

Speaking of eBay, has anyone else noticed the intrusion of ads there lately? With all the money they're making on their listing fees and PayPal fees, it ought to be ad-free. Reminds me of movie theaters that charge $8-10/ticket and then show you ads before the movie. Yuck.

Yeah, Ron, you are doing great on the toys. I listed a Poole Truck Line tractor trailer from the mid 80's and got $32.00, I think, from it. I was shocked to say the least. It wasn't the Poole Truck Line logo but the brand name of the unit that is collectible. It was given to me by the company so I did pretty well!!

Linda, ads seem to be everywhere nowadays!! :( Glad to hear your dad is doing well. My dad is 86 and has a girlfriend!!!

I looked at your listings, Ron. Those are some exceptionally nice trucks. I could be wrong, but I'll bet you'll see a big jump in the bids just as the auctions are closing. A lot of serious bidders lie in wait to make sure they get the last bid in..."snipers." I hope that's the case for you!

I have a friend who loves old toys--I'll email him and let him know....Mine, like most childrens, got either destroyed while I was playing with them or misplaced a long long time ago---When i happen to see some toy somewhere in an antique store or flea market that I had when I was say 5 or so, I remember it and it brings back a flood of forgotten memories.

I suppose that is one reason that they are so valuable --few of them made it through time--even less made it through in good shape but they are still evocative of childhood and time gone by----at least for me---Good Luck --Make a fortune