GreaseSpot Cafe

The return of Diane's Diamonds

Raf

I'll put this in open and ask the mods to move it elsewhere if they deem it necessary.

Statistically speaking, time's almost up. Once you're diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease, your life expectancy typically falls between two and five years. There's no way to sugarcoat that.

My sister, Diane, got her diagnosis in Sept. 2007. That's more than two years ago. More than ever, our family understands now that every day is precious. You may be tempted to ask how she's doing. She's hanging in there, which is about the best you can say about anyone with ALS. That's the real name of the illness. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Three strikes. No arguing with the ump.

That's how Gary Cooper described it in Pride of the Yankees. That movie told the story of Yankee legend Lou Gehrig. At the end of the movie, Gehrig tells the crowd at Yankee Stadium that he considers himself the luckiest man on the face of the earth. Then he walks into the dugout and the movie ends.

We learn, with each passing day, that Gehrig's suffering had barely begun. Piece by piece, this disease robs its sufferers of the ability to live anything resembling a normal life. Walking becomes difficult, then impossible. Standing becomes difficult, then impossible. Supporting yourself with your arms... writing... hugging... until finally, breathing...

My distance from Diane has spared me from the harsh reality of what she is experiencing. We share the occasional tear-filled conversation, but when I hang up I know that at some point I will do what Diane cannot: put this in the back of my mind and go about my day.

In April 2008, Diane participated with many other members of my family in the Walk to Defeat ALS in South Florida. We called ourselves Diane's Diamonds. With the help of many here at GSC, we were able to raise about $3,000, if memory serves.

I'll be walking again on March 6, 2010. Our team's goal is $5,000. I know times are tough, but if anyone can help, it would be deeply appreciated.

Click on my sig to donate.

Edited by Raf