GreaseSpot Cafe

Crossing the Jordan

Twinky

Waysider's thread in ATW about Symbolism got me thinking of this...

Lots of LCM's teachings were based on symbolism. I'm particularly thinking of Joshua crossing the Jordan as being symbolic of Jesus leading us into the renewed mind" and the children of Israel clearing out the Promised Land as symbolic of us cleaning out our old ways of thinking and putting on the renewed mind. They didn't clear out all the previous occupants and got drawn into the ways of former inhabitants. We clear out old ways of thinking so we don't get drawn back.

I've never heard this taught anywhere else, though I doubt LCM thought of it himself.

I find it a helpful analogy. I wonder if others do, too? Is it accurate?

And I wonder where he poached it from.

Joshua crossing the Jordan as being symbolic of Jesus leading us into the renewed mind

It seems that the Israelites that crossed the Jordan, had a different attitude then their parents? For the

last 40 years these Israelites getting ready to cross the Jorden watched their parents die, without mercy,

their bones left in the wilderness where they dropped? The attitude of Joshua's believing, that seems to

be symbolic to something? The Jordan just did not open up for those Israelites, they had to put their foot

into the Jordan at flood stage first, then they crossed. Maybe Martindale should have taught about ones

attitude towards putting ones foot into the Jordan, in order to cross? What VeePee and the Way have done

to people through the years with the controle of renewed mind, seems something is creepy about their

teachings of renewed mind?

Good point, I thought I heard that flood stage thing in a teaching one day, was it at flood stage?

Joshua 5:10, they kept the passover, it could have been running a little faster then usual; passover

is in the spring, winter snow melt, just thought I heard something in a teaching, could be wrong?

Don't ask me why... I just read this thread and felt I should share the following. What follows is the first teaching in an 11 part series entitled; "From Jericho to Jerusalem". FJTJ expounds the allegory of the Israelites entering and progressing in the Promised Land with a Christian's entering and progressing in the Kingdom of God. It takes us on the journey of the fall of the walls of Jericho (worldly walls that prevent Christ's dwelling in our hearts by faith) to the building of Jerusalem's walls (Christ-built walls that prevent the entrance of the things of the world) in our hearts. It has blessed some ex-way people so I thought I'd share.

From Jericho to Jerusalem

Crossing Jordan – God's Presence, Preparation, Provision

Before reaching the walls of Jericho the children of Israel once again faced an obstacle in the form of a body of water. This group of wilderness wanderers had been led by Moses out of Egypt and through the Red Sea on dry ground more than 40 years before. Now, a flooded Jordan River stood between them and the Land of Promise.

And Joshua rose early in the morning; and they removed from dangtim, and came to Jordan, he and all the children of Israel, and lodged there before they passed over.

And it came to pass after three days, that the officers went through the host;

And they commanded the people, saying, When ye see the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, and the priests the Levites bearing it, then ye shall remove from your place, and go after it.

Yet there shall be a space between you and it, about two thousand cubits by measure: come not near unto it, that ye may know the way by which ye must go: for ye have not passed this way heretofore. Jos 3:1 - 4

The instructions couldn't have been any clearer. They were to keep a space between themselves and the Ark of the Covenant and to follow the Ark because they had "not passed this way heretofore." Such plainly spoken words express such profound spiritual truth. If only we in the Church would grasp this truth and hold onto it with both hands! We have not passed this way before, so when you see the Ark of the Covenant of the Lord your God, then shall you remove from your place, "and go after it." In other words, we are to follow God to the places He has gone before.

And as they that bare the ark were come unto Jordan, and the feet of the priests that bare the ark were dipped in the brim of the water, (for Jordan overfloweth all his banks all the time of harvest,)

That the waters which came down from above stood and rose up upon an heap very far from the city Adam, that is beside Zaretan: and those that came down toward the sea of the plain, even the salt sea, failed, and were cut off: and the people passed over right against Jericho.

And the priests that bare the ark of the covenant of the LORD stood firm on dry ground in the midst of Jordan, and all the Israelites passed over on dry ground, until all the people were passed clean over Jordan. Jos 3:15 -17

This event was so tremendous and miraculous that even the inhabitants of cities far to the north and south noted it! To the north they saw Jordan rise as a heap and to the south the waters failed, or receded, so that there weren't any at all. Now, with all the Israelites passed over to the other side of Jordan, Joshua receives some additional instructions.

At that time the LORD said unto Joshua, Make thee sharp knives, and circumcise again the children of Israel the second time.

And Joshua made him sharp knives, and circumcised the children of Israel at the hill of the foreskins. Jos 5:2, 3

This is hardly the action you would think should be taken now that Israel was in the presence of their enemies. After all, it would take many days for these men to heal during which time they would be in no condition to fight had their enemies decided to attack them then and there. God told Joshua to 'Circumcise again the children of Israel the second time' because those that were now entering the Land had not been circumcised in the wilderness.

And this is the cause why Joshua did circumcise: All the people that came out of Egypt, that were males, even all the men of war, died in the wilderness by the way, after they came out of Egypt.

Now all the people that came out were circumcised: but all the people that were born in the wilderness by the way as they came forth out of Egypt, them they had not circumcised. Jos 5:4, 5

Mere weeks before this time, just before the death of Moses, he reminded the children of Israel of all that God had done in bringing them out of Egypt and to this Land. During his speaking to the congregation, Moses says some remarkable words. Remarkable, that is, because they point to a greater truth concerning real circumcision.

Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no more stiffnecked. De 10:16

Moses, who received and instigated circumcision of the flesh according to the law, speaks now of the true circumcision. Allow me to point out the obvious in saying that someone who has been circumcised in the flesh can not be circumcised 'again.' God told Joshua to 'circumcise again the children of Israel.' True circumcision, therefore, is not of the flesh or of the law.

For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:

But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God. Ro 2:28, 29

True circumcision, is a circumcision 'of the heart.' This circumcision is the circumcision of Christ. It marks the beginning of the putting off the body of the sins of the flesh.

In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: Col 2:11

The circumcision taking place now among the children of Israel, though happening in the flesh, pictures what Moses spoke of when he told them to remove the foreskin of their hearts. The message is clear. Entering and progressing in the Promised Land, requires that there be a circumcision of the heart. This circumcision is not accomplished by man, nor is it a work of the flesh; this is the exclusive work of the Holy Spirit of God.

And the LORD thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live. De 30:6

The purpose of this circumcision is 'that thou mayest live.' All of those Israelites who were circumcised according to the flesh and who came out of Egypt (with the exception of Joshua and Caleb) 'died in the wilderness by the way, after they came out of Egypt.' (Jos 5: 4b) It is evident, then, that circumcision of the flesh does not 'save' anyone. This, also, is the conclusion reached by our brethren in the first century when the question regarding circumcision threatened to split the Church. The apostles and elders met in Jerusalem to discuss this very issue.

And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.

When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and disputation with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this question.

And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter. Acts 15:1, 2, 6

The meeting that takes place was lively with support for both sides of the issue. However, Peter speaks and offers irrefutable proof to those with ears to hear.

And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.

And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;

And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.

Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?

But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they. Acts 15:7 - 11

In essence Peter simply puts the emphasis where the emphasis needs to always belong. God made choice among us, God which knoweth the hearts, God bear them [the Gentiles] witness, God gave them the Holy Ghost, God put no difference between us and them [Jew and Gentile] God purified their heart by faith, God will save we and they [Jew and Gentile] through the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.

And it came to pass, when they had done circumcising all the people, that they abode in their places in the camp, till they were whole.

And the LORD said unto Joshua, This day have I rolled away the reproach of Egypt from off you. Wherefore the name of the place is called Gilgal unto this day. Jos 5:8, 9

Now, after the Israelites were healed from the circumcision that took place immediately upon their crossing Jordan, they were commanded to do one more thing before they took Jericho. Gilgal means 'a rolling,' or 'a rolling away.' God literally rolls away the reproach of Egypt (the world) through the circumcision of our hearts.

And the children of Israel encamped in Gilgal, and kept the passover on the fourteenth day of the month at even in the plains of Jericho. Jos 5:10

Even as circumcision shows us that Salvation is not through any works of the flesh, but through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, this Passover demonstrates who our sustenance, our meat, and our strength, is to be. Remember, this Passover takes place in the plains of Jericho in full view of their enemies. As David knew full well, this is God's way of doing things.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: Ps 23:5a

The people in Jericho had to think these Israelites were somewhat unbalanced. Instead of attacking right away as one would think, Israel made camp and proceeded to circumcise all their men. Then, after a number of days when all the men were healed, they had a big feast right there in the presence of their enemies.

And they did eat of the old corn of the land on the morrow after the passover, unleavened cakes, and parched corn in the selfsame day.

And the manna ceased on the morrow after they had eaten of the old corn of the land; neither had the children of Israel manna any more; but they did eat of the fruit of the land of Canaan that year. Jos 5:11

The manna ceased because it was no longer needed. This event marks a great turning point for the children of Israel. The Land was now set to sustain them. All of the preparation has been made and all of the provision has been well provided for by our Heavenly Father. The children of Israel, from this time forward, are going to eat of the fruit of the land flowing with milk and honey. We, too, are meant to eat of the Land for it is written…

Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom. Lu 12:32

Our provision to journey in the Land has already been provided for by our Heavenly Father.

The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it. Lu 16:16

As we press into His kingdom every need will be met according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. To enter and progress in the Promised Land of God's Kingdom, we will need to follow God's presence, submit to His preparation and rely on His provision.

Edited by Greek2me

Nope, you were right...

Good point, I thought I heard that flood stage thing in a teaching one day, was it at flood stage?

Joshua 5:10, they kept the passover, it could have been running a little faster then usual; passover

is in the spring, winter snow melt, just thought I heard something in a teaching, could be wrong?

And as they that bare the ark were come unto Jordan, and the feet of the priests that bare the ark were dipped in the brim of the water, (for Jordan overfloweth all his banks all the time of harvest,)

Greek2me, thanks for posting that article. Very interesting. Doesn't (in this article) talk about the "renewed mind" as being "the promised land" - perhaps later articles do? - but I do like the way it picks up lots of threads of the new life in Christ.

And it's clear it's not a TWI document because of the terminology (like "Holy Ghost"). Who is the author of this, please? Creds? Can you post a link to the other teachings in the series?

Greek2me, thanks for posting that article. Very interesting. Doesn't (in this article) talk about the "renewed mind" as being "the promised land" - perhaps later articles do? - but I do like the way it picks up lots of threads of the new life in Christ.

And it's clear it's not a TWI document because of the terminology (like "Holy Ghost"). Who is the author of this, please? Creds? Can you post a link to the other teachings in the series?

I am the Author of this series. If you like, I can send you the rest via email as it's not posted on the Net yet, though I am planning on putting it up soon.

I don't see the Promised Land as representing 'the renewed mind' -- I see it more as being an allegory of the Kingdom of God.... at any rate, I'll be glad to send you what I have.