GreaseSpot Cafe

The standards of "love" and "grace"

From ExCathedra in the "Marriage Equality" discussion

6/27/12: Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

love is everything, isn't it?

and 6/28/12... i'm believe in god's love which is endless and knows no boundsjesus christ saved us all to the uttermost

yes, let's quote this that etc.

Excathedra in the "marriage equality" thread raised the issue of God's love. However, it appeared to be applied as though God's love is a blanket acceptance of behavior regardless of how it is dealt with by the Bible, which I think is an error, but did not want to add that discussion as a sideline to the marriage discussion.

So. . .

I believe that God's love and grace must defined by the biblical standards in which they are found. I believe that it is love and grace which gives us the strength to do what is right and that following the standards of the Bible are vital to (1) retaining a conscience that can discern right from wrong and not become seared and (2) retaining a connection to the Holy Spirit as an ever present source of help, guidance, direction, etc. etc. etc. (Without that Holy Spirit I certainly am powerless to do anythng.)

Is there any place in the Bible that defends acceptance of things that God has specifically condemned (such as sodomy and homosexuality, not honoring your parents, stealing)?

I do believe that we should be accepting of other people right where they are at, wherever that is. It is literally true that some of those so very very close to me have been in homosexuality and I never did condemn them and always loved them. And am always so very thankful for speaking in tongues, which goes into those places of a soul's need we cannot even guess at. The phrase which has been so often uttered that it has become meaningless to many is still true for me, "Love the sinner hate the sin."

However, someone else's standard does not detemine mine. For example, certain doctrines and theories were posed over in the "Marriage Equality" discussion which I tested by the Bible I know, which is all I have to stand on. Other people, vpee and so many others have proven their feet of clay, but that strength of the Bible, as supported by the Holy Spirit, my Lord Jesus Christ and God Almighty, has kept my head above water all these years and I trust will continue to do so. There are also many many God-fearing Christians, including Catholic religious men and women, who have lived their whole lives in service of the Lord and retained their Godly integrity by continually resisting sin.

This is my best opinion as of 7/27/12, 4:11 pm pacific time. And is open to change. I am holding to the Bible for this minute.