GreaseSpot Cafe

Book about the Sacrifice of Jesus

Rejoice

Was having an interesting discussion with a friend about Jesus and who he is. They come from the position of Jesus being God incarnate. He mention a book written about the sacrifice of Jesus and what it means. Interesting idea to consider [or not];

Most Christian thought has taken us back into the blood sacrifice mindset of religious history, missing the point of the whole 'Christ' event in the stagnant and repetitive pool of human history.

The text of the New Testament, apart from The Letter to the Hebrews, can be read in a non-sacrificial light, certainly a non blood-atonement light. Unfortunately the early interpreters of the text quickly fell back into the old standard sacrificial interpretation of Yeshua's death, one that let the principalities and powers of the scapegoating mechanism off the hook for the last two millennia. The Letter to the Hebrews tried to interpret Yeshua's violent death to Jewish believers through their familiar lens of the prevalent sacrificial Temple Cult. many of my ideas have been stirred by the writings of Catholic academic Rene Girard. I'd suggest his wonderful book 'Things Hidden from the foundation of the World', Book2 which examines the Judeo-Christian scriptures in light of his mimetic theory. An expensive but extremely rewarding read.

http://www.amazon.com/Things-Hidden-Since-Foundation-World/dp/0804722153/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349710169&sr=8-2&keywords=Hidden+from+the+foundation+of+the+World%27%2C+Book2

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Was having an interesting discussion with a friend about Jesus and who he is. They come from the position of Jesus being God incarnate. He mention a book written about the sacrifice of Jesus and what it means. Interesting idea to consider [or not];

Most Christian thought has taken us back into the blood sacrifice mindset of religious history, missing the point of the whole 'Christ' event in the stagnant and repetitive pool of human history.

The text of the New Testament, apart from The Letter to the Hebrews, can be read in a non-sacrificial light, certainly a non blood-atonement light. Unfortunately the early interpreters of the text quickly fell back into the old standard sacrificial interpretation of Yeshua's death, one that let the principalities and powers of the scapegoating mechanism off the hook for the last two millennia. The Letter to the Hebrews tried to interpret Yeshua's violent death to Jewish believers through their familiar lens of the prevalent sacrificial Temple Cult. many of my ideas have been stirred by the writings of Catholic academic Rene Girard. I'd suggest his wonderful book 'Things Hidden from the foundation of the World', Book2 which examines the Judeo-Christian scriptures in light of his mimetic theory. An expensive but extremely rewarding read.

http://www.amazon.co...rld%27%2C+Book2

I followed the link and read some in the preview option. It's beyond my level of understanding. Kinda like all the SIT discussions. I speak in tongues and know that without it I would be in worse shape, but I can't understand how to respond to the academic stuff the folks over on those discussions bring up. Kinda like my thoughts on the sacrifice of Jesus: I know that my life depends on it. I have a couple of books on the blood covenant and I perk up at teachings that have to do with the different ways He bled and the different healings they provided (e.g. the inside bruisings for our inner healing from the sins from iniquity). I read Isaiah and love it. Read the crucifixion stuff in the Bible frequently. Loved the movie, "The Passion,", but I just couldn't follow what the logic was of your book. I liked the title though. :)