GreaseSpot Cafe

Our Labor of Love

This is going to be 1h 09m 28sec of what, exactly, TeachYouVP?

What has it taught you? What have you learned (and applied) from it?

I think the question was - could you elaborate on what the good stuff is, in your own words and what does it mean to you?

VPWster actually did teach along these lines regarding grace and very much to the overwhelming saltation, all that transferred the "old" with the "new", the age of Law and the age of Grace that followed as part of the atonement in Christ. I'll say, this gentleman puts it forth very well, and does a good job setting it forth but it's not in conflict with what VPW taught in PFAL, at all.

Where there is conflict and that not only for subsequent endeavors of VPW is that in practice there can be a tendency towards the same cause and effect, earn/rewards process mindset that man has in a pre-atoned state, a be good or else kind of a deal, do what I say, not what I do, etc. that line of thinking where man's natural sense of loss (his ultimate death) over shadows his newness of life in Christ.

Way theology pushed "rewards" - benefits from "doing the Word" that would be realized in the future, as part of the grace package-in-Christ. That's not an entirely unique stance, Catholic theology has forms of it. However VPW taught that atonement, salvation and God's merciful forgiveness were a gift, not an earned benefit and that charis/grace was in the "Christ in" us. The "in Christ" part of his teaching was the flip of that, what we do with what we already have received.

It's in PFAL, maybe you did miss it. I'm not defending or trashing. That was one of the main things that caught my ear and mind when I first heard it years ago. Having been raised in years of dense Catholic teachings I immediately saw the differences.