GreaseSpot Cafe

who would like a 200 gigabyte flash drive?

Ham

I like the idea of recycling "old stuff".

I picked up and old usb 2.0 external CD writer from the Salvation Army resale store: Two Bucks. The CD was broken, no good.

Ah.. but I had a 200 GB hard drive I harvested out of an old computer the local computer shop tossed out. So out goes the rotten IDE CD.. in goes the hard drive. No special power supplies needed.. a standard computer power cord powers the now external hard drive unit..

its only half full.. videos, movies, music.. old and new windows drivers for every bit of hardware I come across..

old papers.. tons of pdf files from scans..

its like a flash drive on steroids. The read and write time is about five times faster (or more) than that of a usb flash drive. And it plugs into any usb port, and is readable on any computer..

I like the idea of recycling "old stuff".

I picked up and old usb 2.0 external CD writer from the Salvation Army resale store: Two Bucks. The CD was broken, no good.

Ah.. but I had a 200 GB hard drive I harvested out of an old computer the local computer shop tossed out. So out goes the rotten IDE CD.. in goes the hard drive. No special power supplies needed.. a standard computer power cord powers the now external hard drive unit..

its only half full.. videos, movies, music.. old and new windows drivers for every bit of hardware I come across..

old papers.. tons of pdf files from scans..

its like a flash drive on steroids. The read and write time is about five times faster (or more) than that of a usb flash drive. And it plugs into any usb port, and is readable on any computer..

I like doing stuff like that, upcycling old computer stuff people throw away, or doing what you did. I've found lots of PC parts and old servers people trash. I enjoy it.

Sometimes I think the Secrets of the Universe lie buried, in the bottom of a landfill somewhere..

:biglaugh:

Hey.. even rotten hard drives. I've harvested the magnets they use in the voice coil r/w arm..

they are incredibly strong. Rare earth magnets.