GreaseSpot Cafe

Web Faxing -- Inquiring minds want to know

Kit Sober

My Delrina fax program locked up when I tried to install on my now Windows ME.

Inquiring of Windows said to fax, use web faxing.

What is good one?

I have some quicken reports I want to fax. What format do I "export" to?

Thanks for your help.

Kit Soberangelkit.gif

The course of the bubonic plague was turned by the concept of clean.

j2.com used to be called jfax.com

I'm not sure if this is what you want. There are services that allow you to log on their internet site or send them something by email that they will deliver via fax. There is a cost involved.

They have a free level of service, but it only works the other way. They give you a fax number (not in your area code) and someone sends you a fax, it ends up in your email. Kinda cool. I have it and have Winfax v10 (probably worth upgrading to if you fax a lot). It has a feature where after a fax is received it can send it anywhere. I have it sent to my j2 number so if I'm traveling (or home after work) I get it in my email.

I also have call-forward busy and call-forward no answer on my fax line that goes to my j2 number so I use the fax line to call out on (saving the regular line for incoming calls) and know I won't miss a fax.

kinda complicated but it works (usually)

I am behind in regards to knowledge or expereince with computer faxing.

I still use a fax machine! But I do so because it seems to work for my needs, even in running a business. It is a short walk to the fax machine to send or receive faxes.

What are some advantages to computer faxing or intenet faxing for those of us who do not travel and who are not in a large facility? Is the quality better when received on the other end?

One thing we did is made our DSL line (internet connection) the same line as our fax line. We were able to eliminate a phone line in this way because as you know, DSL does not cause the line to be busy.

Here's my experience with faxing.

1 - Receiving

Plain old Paper fax. It has the advantage of physically showing up so you SEE it even if you haven't checked email. It can be filed etc like all paper.

Receiving via Winfax (ie the computer answers the line and recieves the fax). It can be printed automatically upon receipt - mine print 2-per page but can be as many as 4 per page (or not at all) thus saving paper. And you can later print full size pages if you want. You have an electronic copy which you can back up. You can use rules like email (delete, file, forward, copy) based on sender, etc.

You can even modify the electronic file (insert a graphic signature, notes etc). and then re-send it. I have used this to type info in fill-in-the blanks. Admitedly more tedious than paper but cool.

It can automatically forward after receipt to another fax number, or by email, or can alert your pager. Not important if you don't travel or only have one office. I use it even at home to get emails of faxes that have come in late to office.

SENDING - I need a fax machine to send paper. But when I've got a document on my computer (a word file, or a web page) to fax, I fax it right from the computer - my fax software looks like a printer so I "print" to that software and then it dials out through my fax modem. In my experience this does look cleaner on the other end.

We use this with Goldmine to broadcast faxes to our many clients. It does tie up a computer but simpler than doing with a fax machine.

I have never send a fax with one of the internet services. I understand they are good if you want to broadcast a fax to a lot of people, but I'm not sure how you give it the graphic look you want. Perhaps you upload a template or something.

Hope that helps.