GreaseSpot Cafe

Atomic Clock Sync--- very kewl

wasway

Ive been using NISTIME-32.

I can't even remember where I got it, the program doesn't have a referral URL on it! You can Google it I'm sure if you want.

I like it better than tardis. I kept having to shift time servers with tardis, and this one seems to work better with ZoneAlarm. At least that's my experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Kit: It does if you right-click on the clock in the lower right hand corner, go to Adjust Date/Time, and set it to do so in the Internet tab. This doesn't work behind a firewall, however. If you have problems, do a web search for Tardis95. It'll work through just about anything.

God bless!

Zix

• 3 weeks later...

From Windows XP Help....

"If synchronization is enabled, your computer clock is synchronized with an Internet time server once a week. However, if you don't have a continuous Internet connection through a cable modem or DSL modem, the automatic synchronization might not always occur. In that case, you can force an immediate synchronization by clicking the Update Now button on the Internet Time tab in Date and Time in Control Panel."

You have to have administrative privileges to enable this (just log on as Administrator). Zix, mine works behind a firewall but it is a broadband router with firewall protection built in, not a softawer based firewall.

John R.

WIndows 2000 does not have this nice feature to my knowledge.

Hi zixar? It was good to meet you this year, "by the way".

Odd...are you using Pro or Home? It may be that some firewalls do not allow this and others do. Mine is an SMC Barricade. I have certain ports open for certain things such as PC Anywhere and Quake that required it, as well as I think being able to send files via Instant Messenger.

From Microsoft's own help notes in context of synch not working and reasons why:

2. Your personal or network firewall prevents clock synchronization. Most corporate and organizational firewalls will block time synchronization, as do some personal firewalls. Home users should read your firewall documentation for information about unblocking network time protocol (NTP). You should be able to synchronize your clock if you switch to the Microsoft Internet Connection Firewall.

Anyway, lots of ways to get the same result I suppose. Mine seems to work out of the box the way it came. But it looks like they are using a source called time.windows.com

John R.