GreaseSpot Cafe

If Grease Spot Had Banner Ads to Defray Costs

satori

As far as I know, Pawtucket may be against this idea, but I also know that Grease Spot t-shirt sales might not be as brisk as they could be, and let's face it, he's got expenses, and he spends a lot of time.

I've suggested this to him on rare occasions and he has not really responded. While he probably doesn't "need" the money, what's wrong with a little revenue to replace what he's put into this?

I don't know how banner ads work exactly, but I think they pay by view, if not by "hits." I know that Grease Spot on Ezboard had 100,000 posts, and with roughly an average 10-to-1 ratio for "views" he had a million hits for the forums alone. Probably several times that. In Roberge-o-math (similar in concept to "dog years"), Grease Spot has probably had several hundred trillion hits. But back to reality...

What would be your thought if there should be banner (NOT pop-up) ads here, in the knowledge the revenue they generated would go to Pawtucket?

How would banner ads impact Greasespot?

Coolwaters, I'm sorry I didn't include that as an alternative. That is a possibility, although it would be most-likely voluntary, and inherently unpredictable from month to month. But it's not a bad idea at all, and he's footing the cost of everything for now. If there are a few GS'ers providing support behind-the-scenes, I don't know about it, and they deserve OUR thanks, more than Pawtucket's.

The other thing about kicking in through paypal is there may be tax or legal issues to work out, since it suddenly becomes a new animal.

The deal with banners is pretty straight forward. Since you've worked on websites, you may know a little about how they work. I'd like someone to discuss the pros and cons.

Nobody's doing Paw any favors here, by the way. I'm just trying to be realistic about a situation I don't see being addressed. Grease Spot is not a fly-by-night site. It has a history and a community, such as it is, or such as we are.

Doesn't make us a "cult," really. This is an opportunity to communicate. There is no free lunch. I'd like to find the most painless way for each of us to help bear some of the burden, while keeping the "spirit" of the site intact. (TWI'ers will love that line, won't you, weenies?)

Anyway, this is a grass-roots, ad hoc, watchamacallit, and there may be many other preferable options. Maybe TWI could make it part of their operating budget? Maybe not, but it would be the best spent ABS for decades.

What are your thoughts, Grease Spot?

i'm all for it (what's it? i don't know)

i would send $$ to paw but not monthly, i would take the monthly and times it by 12, and do it annually, that's the only way i'd remember

i don't know, how does THE's birthday sound for annual dues? i think it's august 8. see i can't even remember that.

From what I understand, free banner ads are more for driving traffic to your site than for earning income. I think one can earn income if one becomes a paid member.

Banner ads are much better than pop ups for absolute sure! However, I have never used banners...don't like ads at all on a site...but I'm not interested in maintaining a site as heavily trafficked as GSC, either. I've also heard that banner ads slow down a board and really do not make as much money as one would think. Oh...banners track...which means cookies...which means possible spam and other undesirable stuff.

So...there it is...I'm going by hearsay and personal preference.

And, while I was typing this, I signed up at freebanners.com Here is the short version of how I, too, can earn money...woo hoo!: "Earn Cash automatically. Every Free-Banners member that you refer will result in your account earning $2.00 Ad-Dollars. You can then use this money to further expand on your Ad-Budget!" Next to it there is the proverbial MLM pyramid pic (or, for us extwiers, the manifestations pyramid).

37cef360.jpgThe current mood of CoolWaters@cox.net a</p>

I really really wanna buy a tee shirt

I've always wanted a tee shirt....and I've been looking for a spot where they can be bought...but don't see one yet.

For what it is worth, I know Pawtucket has been approached more than once or twice about gifts or donations to make this all possible, and has, to my knowledge, always tastefully declined.

I there believe he really doesn't want $$ for any of this for his own personal reasons. If that is so, then I belive we just must accept his wishes here, even though we want to do something, out of our thanksgiving....etc. If for his own reasons Pawtucket doesn't want $$ is there something else we can give him??? dunno.

Perhaps each of us could make an annual or quaterly donation to one of our own favorite genuine charities, such as the Arthritis Foundation or some other thing..even a scholarship fund....made on his behalf, perhaps.

Didn't we learn somewhere - - "let each one give as he purposeth in his heart"? There are plenty of ways we can give out of joyful hearts, and it's still true - - what ever goes around....comes around!

edited to fix a spelling goof - - I'm sorry Garth

[This message was edited by krysilis on June 21, 2002 at 18:41.]

"let leach one give as he purposeth in his heart"?

Anywho, banner adds I don't mind, since they are a part of the page and aren't like the pop ups, which kept jumping up behind or in front of the page we were looking at, and drove many of us *nuts*. So I think it was the pop ups that many people object to, rather than simply having ads for the purpose of making $$$.

Prophet Emeritus of THE,

and Wandering CyberUU Hippie,

Garth P.