GreaseSpot Cafe

Art Debut

sirguessalot

Hi Greasers

As an announcement of sorts, I thought I'd post a link to my latest project here in the Open Forum

(at least til if/when the mods move it down to the gallery and reading room where it obviously belongs...icon_biggrin.gif:D-->)

And although the site is still pretty bare-bones,

its more of a basic brochure right now

and I've yet to put words to it all,

I've done a few shows with it,

and its being pretty well-received in the local gallery scene

and generating a little buzz at some online venues

Looks like I am rapidly becoming the victim of a career change...lol

Anyway, I thought some of you guys might enjoy this kind of stuff

Any feedback would be much appreciated

Epecially from experienced artists out there

and...because it will all help me give the work some kind of voice

Peace,

Edited by sirguessalot

Career changes are good! Looks like you found your spot!

Great stuff -- it seems a genuine reflection of who you are as revealed in your writing style here. I like it and think you have a real market waiting for you. There is always a market for well done (dare I say) visionary type art.

The mechanics of the site are good and easy to navigate. I think you would do well up near me(western Massachusetts) as there are a lot of meditation centers etc. here. I think your art would resonate and hold a special appeal to many of them.

Hold this in abeyance -but If opportunity arose I'd love to collaborate on some glass pieces someday with you if were possible, since that is my medium, and you have a good eye for design and color.....

Nice stuff-- Keep up the good work

thanks, you guys

and i tell ya, i wish you all could see some of this stuff in print, framed, hung, lit...etc.

most of it just doesn't translate through the monitor as well.

and most of it is made to print real big too, so the graphics i use for the site are quite small compared to the originals.

Kinda free for the taking (to be used with a link or credits, if possible)

and mstar, thanks for all the feedback.

I have been and will be exploring many markets and regions in the months to come (starting with the NW and west coast).

And have pretty much got my "show on the road" kit all put together.

Now, its not a matter of if i hit the road, but when and where i hit it.

I've been pouring over this year's art and graphics market digest, looking at everything from music labels to book publishers.

I am currently seeking representation and such.

Also looking into printing onto fabrics large and small.

Odd too, how more than one jeweler I've met has suggested printing this kind of stuff onto fabric, such as silk, which has got me intrigued.

For bed sheets, tapestries, rugs, clothes, etc... anything to get it bigger and more flexible. Art you can literally wrap your self up in...lol

And mstar, I would love to figure out a way to somehow collaborate. I have really come to see this aspect of solo art as a great lead-in to more collaborative work, anyway. Even for non-"artistic" type things, like salon-type discussions, healing arts, activism, etc...

(which reminds me, I did a show at a retirement center last week, and was somewhat amazed at how some of the residents really lit up and became more present. It was like there was this strange recognition that didn't require all the usual effort of words and thoughts and memory and socializing to get there. I am very interested in this avenue of the work. Art as aid to therapies and recovery and hospice and such.)

Anyway, feel free to send me a link or some photos to get the ole brainstormer trickling, mstar. see if something clicks and sticks, ya know?

Thanks again, you guys

Oooohhhhh MStar and +odd on a project together? I'd LOVE to see that!! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> I hope y'all will share your work with us!

+odd, the Winter Park Arts Festival down here in FL is supposedly major in the art world. A guy I grew up with sold quite a bit of his work there and now he's pretty renowned in the watercolor world... http://www.pauljackson.com/

If you decide to come down this way, I'm very near Winter Park; I have a guest bedroom and love to have company! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Very nice Todd. I have played around with some similar techniques on Photoshop. (right?) It is reminiscent of some of your work on the site. I haven't put much time into them as it appears you have, but I have always wanted to either print them on a very large scale or paint the images on huge canvases.

If I can find a disk around here with some old ones on it I will try and post them. The ones on our server are in PhShop and I can't open them on this computer since I don't have it installed.

The idea came from jellyfish. I think they are one of the most bizarre forms of life on the planet. So I thought it would be interesting to use them in creating an image of a new foreign life form and have the viewer be confronted with this strange being on a large scale. I also wanted to have the viewer perhaps reconsider what a life form is. The life of a jelly is very foreign to the way we view the world.

Anyways I am going off on an idea that is not at all fully formed or executed yet, but I will look for the files. I'd be interested in what you think. It isn't really what most of my work is like, but then again I am all over the place.

Again, very nice work. I like the ones with the infinite geometry the best, but they are all good stuff and it would be nice to view them in the intended size and format.

too cool, lindy

i'd love to see your work

and let me know if you need help resizing them for posting

i do the finish work in photoshop, but i use a few other programs too. 3d environments. modellers. renderers

and though most all of them were first designed on paper, some started with a direct scan of a pencil sketch.

quote:
It isn't really what most of my work is like, but then again I am all over the place.
I can relate to that.

Most all of what i now playfully/annoyingly have to call a body of work,

was produced in a relatively short period of time of my life.

(and i like how the digital mediums are so hyper immediate that way.

part of the "trouble," too, i guess)

and i hear ya about jellyfish

i appreciate the one-pointedness of them

and how do not know they are wet

(and probably think they are flying, or something)

hey, if you get a chance

you have to check out the digital animated art of the singer of Incubus

i saw it on one of their latest DVDs, with a live show at Red Rock

there are some animated video sequences that really swim and evolve to the music

icon_cool.gif

i tell ya,

i meet a lot of artists doing things other than art

ive done a lot of things besides art

and its a hard career to justify, for some

as hard as it is to define

but i think we're just all artists, really

and not a single one of us are merely artists

and as close as art and creativity is to direct creation

i think it is as much direct reflections

of something, somewhere

but we wander through periods of specialization in life

and when what we want is too far away (as it always seems to be)

rather than rip out our roots and go there

i think we can just patiently grow towards it

from right where we sit now

in waves, of course

we grow in waves

i think

Ah, I thought some of is looked like something off a 3D program as well. I have done a lot of that in recent years when I went back to school for industrial design. I haven't realy played with it for more fine art purposes. I have used a number of them, but at home I use a program called Rhino. You can get a free downloadable trial version with 25 saves, but after that you can still just do screen copies.

It looks like it might be a while before I find those pix. I believe they are on a zip disk probably in a box somewhere in a storage unit. Then when I find it I will then need to find a zip drive because I don't have one of those any more. I think maybe Kinko's might though. Hope I find them before I forget about this.