GreaseSpot Cafe

chcraysjcbr

excathedra

Sounds like your browser was hikjacked. (How rude of them.)

Well, I don't know. First I would try the Ad Aware program to get rid of any Spyware.

2nd you could try to go to Start / Run/ MSconfig and go to the startup items.

Uncheck the item you think may be responsible for this invasion. You can get a clue from here

Startup list explained

Also look into this littel program that prevents your browser from being hijacked again:

Hijack blaster

By hijacked I think they mean that a program takes control of your browser and adds components to it without asking you. (How rude). Not that it disappears.

I'm sorry. I thought you meant that this annoyance was a toolbar in your browser. Do you mean the toolbar is present even when your browser is closed?

Try finding it in MSCONFIG and uncheck it. Also look in Start / All Programs / Startup and make sure nothing is in there. If it is, delete it unless it is something you need to start when your computer is turned on.

Well, my old friend excathedra, there is a way to prevent most spyware from getting to you in the first place.

It's a little tricky but I believe it is an awesome thing to do, especially on kids computers. I am not smart enough to have figured it out but I read about this and tried it and like it.

Download a free program called SpySites. It is found here.

It says the following:

Stop Web Sites from installing Spyware, Sleazeware and Cookies on your PC

SpySites includes a database of over 4,600 known Spy/Sleaze sites and guides you through the simple process of including them in Internet Explorer's Restricted Zone and setting policies to prevent them from performing intrusive acts on your PC. By setting the policies for the Restricted sites zone to a very high level of security, you can be assured that any web sites added to the Restricted sites zone cannot do certain things which could compromise your privacy and security

Once you download and install SpySites, open it. Look on the menu at the top ...Options. Click on "Add All Sites to Restricted Zone"

COngratulations. You just restricted more than 4600 known spy sites from affecting your computer in any way. This includes some of the worst known offenders.

With XP and 2000 I believe you must log on to each user who is using the computer and do the same thing with their browser. Each user has his own unique browser settings.

You can then close the SpySites program. This is only a trial demo version. You have added the basic needed protection. You may not need SpySites again for a while but if you do you can simply download another trial version or purchase the registered version for $20.

Will you trty this and let me know if it works accordingly? I am a new user as well. But I anticipate that I will all but see the disappearance of spyware on my computer again.

Yeah - I wish MSFT would do tabbed browsing. I have heard good thigs about it.

Look for them to COPY this idea of tabbed brosing in their upcoming FREE versions. I'll be we see popup blocking features in it as well.

They can't allow someone else to innovate ahead of them. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

quote:
Originally posted by igotout:

Look for them to COPY this idea of tabbed brosing in their upcoming FREE versions. I'll be we see popup blocking features in it as well.

Yeah but they're not going to make IE anymore. It's effectively dead software from what I've heard. They are going to release one more version with Longhorn (the new version of Windows) but after that I don't think they'll be in the browser business anymore.

• 1 month later...