GreaseSpot Cafe

Obliterating people's names in posts

Steve!

Okay, it's a generally accepted fact that the only names that can appear in their entirety in these forums (besides your own, of course) are those of the current boring directors, er, bored of misdirectors of TWI.

I *think*, and Pawtucket, correct me if I'm wrong, that Rico Magnelli's name, as PR spokesdude of TWIt and therefore a public figure, does not have to be obliterated.

Now, one of the main reasons for '*'ing out some of the letters in people's names is so that GreaseSpot Cafe doesn't show up in search engine results when someone does a search for a particular name, such as Blob Moneyhands. If you were to actually put his real complete name in a post, then GSpot would show up in a Google search and Pawtucket could be subjected to litigation, right or wrong. Remember, it doesn't matter who's right in a lawsuit if the purpose is to drain someone's resources.

So typing in B*b M*ynihan should be adequate obliteration.

But many of you would post that as B** M**n****, and many would not recognize that as Blob Moneyhands without additional clues.

That ain't necessary.

Examples:

E* H*rney is adequate.

*d H***** is overboard.

D*b Olth**se is adequate.

D** *l***u** is overboard.

There are some occasions where you really only want a very few people to recognize who it is you are talking about, but wouldn't that be better addressed in a private message?

The reason for my post is this: I just received a private message, and part of the message is about an innie who would be interested in knowing who the leader.... is in a certain area, but can't tell who the hell it is because of the obliteration of the name.

Okay, the purpose of this website is to expose the excesses, crimes, sins etc. of TWI, and not to talk about individuals from our past, because that would invite a lot of "well, he was such a d*ck to me" and "no, you're nuts, he was okay in my book" etc.

And okay, I'm not the proprietor of this website, but I think that the rules about names should be somewhat (not completely) looser when it comes to current leader.... of TWI.

So as a matter of courtesy to the people that will be reading your posts, I am making a request that names are NOT obliterated to the point of being unreadable, but just unsearchable.

I had no idea that such policy was in effect.

I have not been obliterating names, as I feel such is close to dis-honest. I use my real name of my posts. I have no intention of hiding anything. Should I? Is there something that needs to be hidden?[Outside of ID fraud that is]. To me when poeple are 'hiding' behind fake IDs, all that they say would not be taken as complete honesty as they are obviously still hiding things.

Reading posts, I have in fact often seen such obliterations as A*** B***, and I have on occassion been left wondering. Who were they talking about? Was it anyone that I knew?

Overall in my limited 18 year envolvement with The Way International, I knew very few 'big wigs' whose names would mean anything to people on GreaseSpot Cafe. As such most of the time, unless the writer leaves the name very close to the original, I am simply not going to be able to discern who you were talking about. I would imagine such is the case for most non-corpse-nazi grads.

signed G*****

:-)

*** **** * ********, ** ***** ***.

Actually, pawtucket can set up a robots.txt file if he wants to prevent Google from searching the text on the forums. Also, private messages should not be subject to those rules if that is the reason because you have to be logged in as one of the participants to see it. However, I suspect that 1) the software requires the filters to apply to everything, and 2) pawtucket probably has some legal reason for wanting to restrict some information.