GreaseSpot Cafe

It's the assets...

GrouchoMarxJr

quote:
Interesting stuff Goey....and the assets belong to? The three BOD members?

No, the assets belong to the Corporation. The BOD cannot by law build personal wealth from the assets of a NFP corporation. They dont personally own any of it - however they do control it.

If the TWI were to liquidate (dissolve) the the BOD cannot "split the dough". The money would go either to the State or to another NFP corporation. The BOD could not take it an put it in personal accounts - unless they wanted lots of prison time.

quote:
We can go back to "draw the line in 89" and how Geer caused probably the most single important event regarding mass leaving, but had it not been for the women, NOT Geer or changing/eliminating programs it may still be growing, not ever to be close to the nearly 30,000 in attendance of the mid 80's, but it would still be growing not dying.

I kinda doubt it.

It is much more than the lawsuits that reduced TWI to little more than an insignificant little wannabe cult. It was an accumulation of lots of things. Division, strife - homo purge, harshness/legalism, M&A, abuse, and moving away from a formula that worked (as far as numbers go). Also, Internet Sites like Waydale and GS played a large role in exposing TWI's "evils".

quote:
Originally posted by Goey:

quote:
We can go back to "draw the line in 89" and how Geer caused probably the most single important event regarding mass leaving, but had it not been for the women, NOT Geer or changing/eliminating programs it may still be growing, not ever to be close to the nearly 30,000 in attendance of the mid 80's, but it would still be growing not dying.

I kinda doubt it.

It is much more than the lawsuits that reduced TWI to little more than an insignificant little wannabe cult. It was an accumulation of lots of things. Division, strife - homo purge, harshness/legalism, M&A, abuse, and moving away from a formula that worked (as far as numbers go). Also, Internet Sites like Waydale and GS played a large role in exposing TWI's "evils".

I have to agree it was an accumulation of lots of things, but it was trucking along despite some of those things having been in place for years. I think the action of the first woman enabled the formulation in some innies of the whole as rotten. Then Greasespot and others greatly aided in the missing details for assistance in making an escape.

quote:
Originally posted by UncleHairy:

Wierwille handed him a thriving business on a silver platter...all he had to do was "keep the trains running on time" and count all the money. Instead, ....

Yes the guy was a moron. Stupid and emotionally unstable. Not a great combination. However the way's decline wasn't all due to martindale. Times were changing - it wasn't hip anymore to live a poor, shiftless life in search of "spritual things". People were growing up and concerned with a more stable life style. Even vpw's charisma was not as attractive in his later days.

I don't know the date that the numbers actually started declining but I'm guessing it was a lot earlier than when craig took over.

quote:
Originally posted by Goey:

...the assets belong to the Corporation. The BOD cannot by law build personal wealth from the assets of a NFP corporation. They dont personally own any of it - however they do control it.

If the TWI were to liquidate (dissolve) the the BOD cannot "split the dough". The money would go either to the State or to another NFP corporation. The BOD could not take it an put it in personal accounts - unless they wanted lots of prison time.

Which is why, in my (never) humble opinion, they won't ever liquidate. They'll keep "controling the money and spending it on the things they "need" to keep the "ministry" going.

It won't matter how many followers they have as long as it looks legit enough that they're not accused of taking the bucks for personal gain.

With a reasonable (not even a good) investment return, with the low cost of living in Ohio and the poor wages they pay people, they should be able to make it a looonnnnggg time on that money.

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:

If I was counting on TWI to supply my retirement, would you recommend I start scrambling? I mean, __IF THEY WERE TO KEEP THEIR WORD__ that they would take care of me....would I need to worry that they would not be able to?

The money would be the least of my worries. I would scramble like crazy because they don't show a history of keeping their word when they decide it's not in their personal interest to do so and most of the "word" they give is not legally binding.