GreaseSpot Cafe

Blank CD's: Music Vs. Data

TOMMYZ

"Music" is generally for making cds act like any other music cd (and at about the same length -70-80 minutes, 650-750 MB), that can be played in most cd players; data, on the other hand, is for the storage of any kind of file (music, texts, programs), files that one might back up when cleaning off one's hard-drive.

However, if you're burning mp3s, and want to keep them in the mp3 format and get a few hours out of one cd, pick "data".

I know I'm able to play my "data" mp3 cds on my dvd player. Or even in the pc cdrom player.

But if you choose the "music" option (I'm guessing you're using Nero?) for burning mp3s on a cd, your mp3s will be converted to wav/cd files, and you'll get 70-80 minutes worth of stuff on a cd.

Someone else can probably offer a more technical explanation.

Danny

No, that's not quite right.

The "music" labeled blank CDs are for standalone CD recorders, like one you would have hooked up to your stereo. They cost more because the RIAA forced the audio companies to pay a small royalty on every blank disc sold, ostensibly to offset revenue loss from people making copies. These recorders can only use "music" labeled CDs. They have some info encoded on them that tells the recorder it's ok to record on it.

"Data" CDs are for computer use only. They don't have the "music" info encoded on them and cannot be used in standalone recorders. HOWEVER, your compact disc PLAYER can't tell the difference between the two! (It's not in the original CD specification which all players must meet.) Computers can write to EITHER type of disc, though. They don't care about the "music" info either.

So, the ONLY reason (only, only, only) to pay extra for "music" CDs over "data" CDs is if your recorder isn't part of your computer. If you're using your computer, ALWAYS use the "data" CDs--they're cheaper, and the sound is identical from both because it's all digital anyway.

Save your money. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Secret Signature of the Day==v

Rocky's just mad because Boris Badunov thinks Bullwinkle's the brains of the outfit.

And most recent DVD players have the ability to read CD's burned in the "Data" format that contain MP3 files.

Depending on how your MP3 files were burned, you can fit about 10 albums on 1 CD. Great if you want background music and don't want to be changing the music every 40 minutes or so.

Thanks for the answer. I knew there was a reason that you really didn't need "music" CDs for a computer burner but I couldn't remember what it was. FYI, I use Roxio's Easy CD Creator program. I got the Nero program when I bought a new burner but I've stuck with Roxio since I know how to use it for making CDs.