GreaseSpot Cafe

Hotel Rwanda

mstar1

It is sort of in the vein of Schindlers List, so its not an easy movie, but still very much worth seeing.

I have been personally amazed by the silence surrounding this movie---especially when compared to the over hype for downright horrible movies--I dont go to many movies but this is one of the better ones that I have seen in a long while.

I haven't seen all the best picture nominees but this one should be among them..

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to drag my daughter to Because of Winn Dixie, but she won the tug of war, and we saw Hotel Rwanda intead. I'm glad we did. Part history lesson, part family drama, partly a lesson in international relations, but mostly a study in situational ethics, this movie focuses on one person -- a hotel manager -- and his considered, deliberate response to a growing horror. The explanations for the genocide were oversimplified -- Belgium's colonialism, America's indifference, France's arms supply, but little mention of the internal politics of the Hutus and Tutsis, other than that they were divided by racial characteristics (Hutus being more "black," with Tutsi's having more light-skinned characteristics) -- it was still a very thought-provoking analysis of the convergence of multiple forces ending in chaos, indecision, and massacre. Because of the backdrop for this movie, I expected it to be dark and violent and depressing, but instead it was thoughtful, and compassionate. Worth seeing.