GreaseSpot Cafe

Nickel and Dimed

This is a great book by Barbara Ehr..rich (I lent the book out, so amn't sure of her correct last name). It's on the best seller list.

She's a writer who leaves her cushy life to try and live on minimum wage...rent, food, necessities, transportation...

She's a waitress in Florida...a maid up in Maine...a retail seller at Walmart in Minnessota.

It's quite an eye opener...

She's witty...and real...

A book everyone should read.

• 2 weeks later...

diggin it. I have a friend that does this, sort of.

She's an Attorney, makes pretty good money, but every now and then takes off and heads for Alaska. There she tends bar, fishes, bums around until she has had enough and come's 'home' again to practice. She says she prefers Alaska bumming around to law.

Her stories are amazing.

Read it a while back and I've heard it is a required book in some college sociology classes. It should really be an eye-opener for those that have forgotten (or have never had to worry) about having ten bucks in your pocket and how are you gonna buy gas and groceries and pay rent and never mind that tooth that needs to be filled or the bald tires on your car. I found the author to be a bit condescending in places...after all, this was her "pretend" life and a research project for her writing, but interesting and informative to those who have not had to make every dollar scream just to stay alive. Makes me reconsider Wally World, for sure. Worth the read !