GreaseSpot Cafe

What Exactly Does "Being Saved" Entail?

icon_smile.gif:)-->

Ok. I'll go line by line with ya, I guess.

I hope you don't mind me throwing out all this "lambano." icon_wink.gif;)-->

quote:
If I have to choose between your take on these things and that of the Biblical writers along with Dr, I’ll be choosing the latter.
Mike, I am surprised how generically and modernly Christian you suddenly sound. icon_wink.gif;)--> After all, heresy is in choosing who the "best" baptizers are (especially when you are choosing from such a small pool of choices in the first place icon_eek.gif). I'm glad I wasn't the one who baptized ya.

quote:
Do you at least agree that you are taking an anti-Biblical stance on some of these issues?
No, not an anti-Biblical stance, at all. Not even a non-Biblical stance.

The Christ of the Bible has become the cornerstone for all my building. All of it.

And so I am not afraid of any book in the world.

Why should I be? Christ is the shape of the universe.

Abraham is the father of many religions.

The apostles have taught and been teaching all over the world for 2000 years.

For me, the Bible confirms truths from all ages and all corners of the world.

But you'll never see it if you never take your candle into the darkness and look for yourself.

The Bible is such an old set of books, anyway. Especially the OT.

And sooo censored, even from a strictly Jewish standpoint.

Tattered fragments, right? icon_wink.gif;)--> I believe so, too.

But I like musty old, beat-up books.

Question is, is this old scripture of Christ your cornerstone for building, or a stone all alone (for tripping over)? This is a very important question, according to "The Word."

quote:
All through the OT it was people who received spirit who had a special connection with God.
Yes. But the OT is a partial record of man's experience with God and spirituallity? Incomplete. Contrary. Carnal. Somewhat desperate. Heck, the whole Mosaic law is a grand parable, of sorts, devised by folks with an enormous sense of vision beyond their own age. It was focused mostly on one ethnological lineage's partial spiritual discoveries, in preparation for a more universal demonstration of true love and what it means to be connected to the divine.

No?

Besides, if we are ignorant of our eternal connection with God, can we say or write anything about it? Can we even think about it? Doesn't mean the connection is not there. Just means we are dead asleep to it. And we may die in this darkness. What we write and do may even sound like we are bemoaning our disconnect. Then someone comes along later and reads it and says "Aha! They were disconnected from God!"

Shouldn't we always consider the spiritual (or non) perspective of the writers before jumping to conclusions about whether the spirit was in them or on them or no where in sight when they wrote what they wrote?

quote:
At one time during Moses’ ministry spirit was given to 70 people and it was considered a VERY big deal.
Moses was so spirituallity charged and alive, that he radiated it outwardly. His countenance was oftentimes dramatic, which even moved and stirred physical energy. Anyone near him could not not be affected. And those who were most attuned to him were even more spiritually stimulated and stirred. Spiritual "giants" in any all wisdom traditions do such things (but use different names/words to explain them). The ability to transfer positive energy physically, emotionally, mentally, etc... is a big part of how the spirit manifests. Including the sharing of abilities and ministries and such. How else does one touch another and heal them, save for the rearranging of physical matter (which is all energy)?

How many times you read about a prophet glowing with light and halos and transfigurations?

How many other books have you read that describe their prophets doing the same thing, and achieving similar results in another language?

You attempt to "rightly divide" any other books?

What if they, too, "fit like a hand in a glove?"

Jesus was still the Christ of God. He died for us all.

He demonstrated the trinity of power, love and wisdom like no other.

quote:
Jesus talked about how he was working to make holy spirit much more widely available.
By demonstrating love, mostly. By showing how connected we are if we only stop being so darn religious/carnal/strictly patriarchal about everything. He demonstrated true divine love in action, more so than any other in history. And he knew the impact it would have. Does this discount the wisdom of the Solomons, of the Buddhas, of the Krishnas, and of all the Kings of the East (who were not Jews but knew more spiritually)?

Pentecost was new to the apostles, supercharged with the teachings and experiences and spiritual energy Jesus had plenty of. In fact, "Pentecost" was quite new to the west, period. A new age had just come. Peter saw it, because a new darkness fell (not a new light).

quote:
Just the opposite of an inherent, innate “Christ-nature” as you portray the population as having, God’s Word says that it’s a death-nature that is impressed on all via Adam’s rebellion.
"The population?!?" Oh, you mean, mankind? All made in the image of God, just like Christ? icon_wink.gif;)-->

yeah. We all forgot we forgot I forgot they forgot. That's what happens when a tree of knowing things is messed with, right? But do you think Eden is some actual place on earth with a tree of life and a flaming sword? I don't think the Eden story is understood very well, and so the corresponding "fix" can't be either. That flaming sword preserves our spiritual nature, regardles of our state of mind. If our habit is to flee mortal pain, we will not understand this (hence, the flames).

Besides, didn't Paul wrote that the carnal seed must die before it becomes spiritual?

Adam was supposed to die. icon_eek.gif If he hadn't died and fallen to a state of false shame and ignorance and enmity, Christ would never have been lifted up in the wilderness. Man, as a spiritual being, would never experience and understand his full range of being, through birth and death and spiritual rebirth. Wise as serpents, harmless as doves. icon_wink.gif;)-->

I dunno.

Bottom line, Mike.

Overall, I think our spiritual fears of darkness drive us a lot farther away in our spiritual understanding than we think. The risk factor/enemy factor is a big part of "the lie." When we are more concerned with simply knowing what is good and what is evil (trapped in a circular struggle of duality) than getting our hands dirty at all with any sort of tangible practice or method. We must reach beyond redundantly expressing our self-rightness to each other (when we've never really "walked outside" far enough to sit down yet).

But the good news is that we are also always a lot closer to our divine nature than we think. Our very form IS in the image of God, who in the image of Christ. But we are born trapped outside of ourselves.

Whether we think out spiritual nature enters us later, or was already there from the beginning, it is still a gift, an anointing, a new conception (check the greek), and our salvation, nonetheless.

But how deep we can go with is limited to how long we think its been inside of us.

We've ignorantly been spiritual beings all our life.

There is a lot of healing in this.

peace

Sure CW. Sorry. No insult was intended. We all have had scrambled ideas on these topics; me included. I removed the first sentence from my post altogether, and capitalized the word “think” in the second. I hope they sit better with you. If not let me know.

Thanks, Mike. Please let me know when I slip up and point a finger at you instead of talking about your ideas, OK? icon_smile.gif:)-->

Something I have to remember is that I bring the whole my whole life's experiences to the board...and nobody knows what those are except me...and there's no way for anybody to know how things are hitting me.

That said...

I may have misread your intended meaning. I've been dealing with a situation where the people are very works oriented...they say they're not...that they're looking at "fruit"...but they measure people by circumstances and blame a person's works or lack of works...while they, themselves, show off the things the "believed" for and literally cuss those who have less.

So I was bringing that experience to your post.

There is no question that it is said that faith without works is dead. In fact, I expect works from myself and from others.

However, to put it in as part of the answer to the question of "what is being 'saved'" bothers me because it muddies the waters.

The example you used of raising children...a good analogy...and one must remember that there is a personal learning curve involved. Kids learn differently, at different rates and at different understandings. If there is anything in a child's life that interferes with learning, then one cannot expect that child to learn as readily...if at all...as other children.

The same goes for learning in the spirit.

For example, those of us who came to twi in our teen years have a much more difficult time learning to trust the spirit.

Spirit knows this...so it's beyond me to grasp that spirit would expect me to "work out my own salvation" in the ways you have described.

When I hear "work out your own salvation", I hear spirit working with me personally to teach me spirit knowledge.

For example, I could not grasp the concept of "god" as a father. It was more than I could bear. So spirit introduced me to the reality that spirit is neither male nor female...and that if I need to relate to spirit as a mother, then spirit doesn't mind at all.

Through that, I learned to grasp spirit as co-parents in the raising of me.

That worked! I can now relate to spirit comfortably.

It was a long time coming because spirit had to show me the 40+ years of wrong teaching concerning this matter. I had to get beyond the "devilish" mindset.

If my salvation of body and soul were up to me through all of this, I'd have been a goner.

Hi Cool Waters,

I’m grateful you accepted my editing.

Looking back on it, I TOO slightly misread your intended meaning in your previous post, thinking there were some “fighting words” were there now appear to be none.

Plus, I thought I could get away with rough wording because I knew that you knew (from our phone conversations) that I respect your heart. But I forgot that THAT can be easily forgotten in the multitude of the days and months of business, and especially in the heat of the whole board here.

PLUS, like your negative situation dealing with those people you just mentioned, I too was dealing with some local hassles that I unnecessarily brought into my post to you.

WOW! If only we ALL here were able to get these kinds of things straight from the get-go! Or at least untangle them quickly like you and I seem to have just done, then we’d be back in that “total trust” atmosphere we sampled at times, like at earlier Rock of Ages festivals. It’s coming, though, I know, because HE’s here and HE will prevail.

That was interesting, what you said about male and female.

I was blessed to grow up in a very large (3 boys 3 girls) and near totally functional family (I was the exception), and my Dad is a very decent representative of Our Father in heaven. It bewildered me, back in the 70’s, when I first stumbled upon a few people here and there who couldn’t relate to the idea of a loving father, because of their abusive upbringing.

I’ve struggled over the years for ways to help in these kinds of cases, so you gave me a bit of food for thought. I know that the TOTAL ORIGINAL ideas of female and woman are VERY GOOD and come directly from THE Holy Spirit, Almighty God.

Mike,

Something that I have recently learned "in my heart" is about the things that come out of my mouth...or my keyboard...which is my mouth on the internet...LOL...

Anyway, I am doing my best to watch what I say. It's a real life changer...as exemplified here in this little ol' thread. icon_smile.gif:)-->

The most awesome thing I learned while relating to spirit as "mother" was exactly what you said...about male and female...man and wife...mother and father...

I was drawn to the passage in John 4 about the Samarian woman. (That whole conversation and ministering was very much like a mother, imo.)

Then verses 21-24 popped out at me:

quote:
21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. 22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. 23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

I have never envisioned that there are two (or more) gods. I simply see many sides to the same god.

In twi I was taught that Psalm 23 contained all of the names of God and what each did. I kept that teaching for many, many years...until it was worn out...and I have since lost it in many moves.

However, if you look at Psalm 23, you will see that God manifested in spirit really is neither male nor female, but is all in all.

We are taught that god prefers a human family to consist of a mother and a father.

Now I know many families that are single parent or same sex two parent families. I'm not saying these types of families are "ungodly". Why? Because in the families that I know, there is a balance between male and female input in the upbringing of the children.

It makes a big difference, too.

Why would god want his family to have anything less? If he is the Almighty, omnipotent Creator, then he can certainly manifest with male and/or female qualities if he so chooses. Why wouldn't he choose?

It's such a blessing to be able to minister to survivors of abuse according to what will work in their heart...ya know?

CoolWaters,

In addition, it seems that Jesus often displayed feminine characteristics when they were needed. Look at his pain endurance! When brute strength and toughness were needed he had that too.

I don’t know this one for sure, but maybe you can find it. I was told long ago that there is a verse somewhere that describes God as feeding “His” people with a breast, or something to that effect. I don’t know if the word “breast” is used or “suckling” or what, but someone told me that long ago.

Oakspear,

For the benefit of us ex-way, I did a quick search and came up with some links to a few of "Judeo/Christianity's" more adventurous schools of thought.

Jewish Roots of Eastern Christian Mysticism

Christian Mysticism

Christian Mysticism Book List

Resources for Gnosticism and Nag Hammadi

Contemplative Outreach Ltd.

The Essenes

Hermetic Kabbalah

Kabbalah

Christian Counterpoint Forum

I am sure the topic of salvation (or the equiv.) is covered somewhere in each.

Enjoy.

Edited by sirguessalot