GreaseSpot Cafe

Hotmail

Shellon

Hotmail is pretty good, so is Yahoo. I think it would be a rare thing for Microsoft to lose a person's email and folders. But I guess it could happen.

Sounds like you may be having some computer probs. But Hotmail is separate from your computer. It is Web Mail.

If you are using Windows 98 it is past time to upgrade to XP and maybe even a new computer. I am in the process of upgrading an old one I have. It is worthless. Can't even give it away.

Yet I originally paid $1800. for it a few years back.

Replacing it with a Pentium 4 made by Dell, with XP Professional and 512MB Ram and 120GB hard drive. It is at least 5 times faster than my old one. It was around $1000.

But if you already have newer equioment you might have to make some adjustments and tweaks. There are MANY.

Edited by igotout

yeah HegotHope... I just upgraded my laptop... the old one was a P3 windows 98, it was only 3.5 yrs old... worked OK for the spreadsheets but was really a beating for anything else...

and you can't really upgrade a 98 machine to XP can you?

P.S. you getting a kickback from Dell these days!? icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Yeah, Tom. You can upgrade from 98 to xp. You can install it over the top of XP. But I highly recommend NOT doing that, even though it might be a little more expensive. Those upgrades are not good in my opinion.

Better to format the hard drive. Better yet, just buy a newer, faster, hard drive for $50 - $100. Do a clean install of XP on the new drive. Throw the other one away.

Personally, I would not install XP on anything other than a Pentium 4 (or equivalent Athlon, whatever that is) along with no less than 512MB ram and absolutely no less than a 7200 RPM hard drive and no less than a 32MB graphics card (64mb is preferred).

Anything less than those are ready for the dumpster in my opinion.

John may be being a bit picky when it comes to components. If you have the cash to spend, his recommendations are good. If not, you can get by perfectly fine with lesser stuff. There's absolutely no reason to be on the bleeding edge of technology.

For instance, BestBuy has a machine on sale now for $389 after rebates that has a 2.7GHz Intel Celeron processor, 256MB RAM, a 40GB hard drive, Windows XP Home, a 17" monitor, and a color printer. Unless you're playing the latest graphics-overloaded games or doing real processor-intensive work (like video editing), that will be a good amount of computer for most people. For another $80, you can upgrade it to have John's recommended 512MB of RAM, a 2.8GHz processor and an 80GB hard drive.

In my opinion, it's much better to spend $500 on a mid-level machine today and another $500 on the equivalent-level machine two years from now than to spend $1000 on a higher-level computer that won't be as good in two years as the then-$500 models. There are always new features coming along, and the price is always high at first. It's sort of like leasing a car instead of buying it, although you can always use the old computer as a file server or second terminal. I have a 10-year old PC that probably couldn't even boot WinXP, but it works just fine as a Linux server.