GreaseSpot Cafe

Problems with Norton firewall--arggghhh

Linda Z

Help me, please help me. icon_eek.gif

All of a sudden about a week ago my Internet access was blocked. I called my cable provider and we pinged and tested and yada yada and the techie said it's a firewall problem. Ever since then, the only way to get on the Net is to first disable Norton Internet Security.

I checked the Norton help files, and it said to change my "Inbound NetBIOS name" setting to "permit." I did. It didn't work.

I went to the Symantic help (hahahahahahaha!) Web site and it was no help.

I don't know what to do next. To get live help over the phone from Symantec is $29.95 per call! Can anyone talk me through what I need to do. (And no offense, but please only volunteer if you know for sure what I need to do. icon_smile.gif:)-->)

If it would be easier to talk me through it over the phone, please send me your number at zindalinzee@yahoo.com and I can call you on my dime. Or if you'd rather call me, I can send you my number.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me!

Linda

Linda,

I found a doccument at Symantec's Web Site that should take you through the problem and get it fixed. Here is is.

To get started, click on the link above. When the page opens click on the little yellow "+" where it says, "The icon DOES appear in the system tray"

Then go down to where it says "Can access the Internet with NIS disabled" and proceed by following each yellow "+" below that till the problem is solved.

BTW, It is not likely that anyone will know exactly what the problem is without first doing some troubleshooting - there are too many variables involved.

Thanks, Goey & WordWolf.

I went through Symantec's list of possible problems and that didn't do the trick. Since I'd downloaded the trial version and it was about to expire anyway, I figured that if I upgraded that might fix the problem.

After much weeping and gnashing of my teeth, I got the new 2005 version installed, and my access is no longer blocked.

The people who write the so-called help files for that company ought to be taken out and shot. I'm not stupid. I'm not even completely naive about computers. But going around in circles because of getting sent to dead ends on a Web site after spending money for the privilege is not my idea of a fun way to spend a Saturday. icon_mad.gif

WW: I saw your e-mail after resolving the problem. Too late. icon_smile.gif:)-->